[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to update a location using the Java API as 

patchLocation.setFieldMask("store_code,primary_phone,address");

I get the below error : 

com.google.api.client.googleapis.json.GoogleJsonResponseException: 400 Bad Request
{
"code" : 400,
"errors" : [ {
"domain" : "global",
"message" : "Request contains an invalid argument.",
"reason" : "badRequest"
} ],
"message" : "Request contains an invalid argument.",
"status" : "INVALID_ARGUMENT"
}
at com.google.api.client.googleapis.json.GoogleJsonResponseException.from(GoogleJsonResponseException.java:146)
at com.google.api.client.googleapis.services.json.AbstractGoogleJsonClientRequest.newExceptionOnError(AbstractGoogleJsonClientRequest.java:113)
at com.google.api.client.googleapis.services.json.AbstractGoogleJsonClientRequest.newExceptionOnError(AbstractGoogleJsonClientRequest.java:40)
at com.google.api.client.googleapis.services.AbstractGoogleClientRequest$1.interceptResponse(AbstractGoogleClientRequest.java:321)
at com.google.api.client.http.HttpRequest.execute(HttpRequest.java:1065)

But if I modify the code to remove 'address' as patchLocation.setFieldMask("store_code,primary_phone,address");

it works fine. 

I'm not sure what the mask for 'address' should be. Also is there any document which says what are the values for masks apart from 

https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/reference/google.protobuf#google.protobuf.FieldM...

I've still no idea how I came up with store_code for storeCode and primary_phone for primaryPhone.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Liam P
May

Field Mask issues & documentation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Finally, I've found the way to do this. 

Changing to 

patchLocation.setLanguageCode("en").setFieldMask("storeCode,address,primaryPhone").getRequestHeaders().set("X-GOOG-API-FORMAT-VERSION", 2);

worked and also the header set gave appropriate error message which was easier to debug & fix

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Liam P
May

Field Mask issues & documentation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Finally, I've found the way to do this. 

Changing to 

patchLocation.setLanguageCode("en").setFieldMask("storeCode,address,primaryPhone").getRequestHeaders().set("X-GOOG-API-FORMAT-VERSION", 2);

worked and also the header set gave appropriate error message which was easier to debug & fix

Re: Field Mask issues & documentation

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi @Liam P,

We're glad you found a solution. We suggest you always add this additional header to your requests to enable more detailed error messages in responses when using the Java client library:

X-GOOG-API-FORMAT-VERSION: 2

Please feel free to contact us for any Google My Business API related questions.

Thanks,

The Google My Business API team