Guide Me
star_border

Business Description Erased

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

when we connect existing GMB listings to the API we are seeing that the existing business descriptions are being erased. I believe this is a bug within the API, wondering if others are experiencing this as well and if there is any expected date when this issue will be resolved. 

as an aside, we are assuming because business descriptions have been removed from most Google properties (With the exception of G+), that the performance impact of not having a completed description is minimal if any. Do others have thoughts on this? 

thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JD L
June 2016

Re: Business Description Erased

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi @JD L,

The Description field is not currently supported through the Google My Business API. This field will continue to function via the Google My Business UI.

We are aware of this issue for the Description field being overwritten to empty when updating a location without a fieldMask. We will update you in a post on this board once this issue has been resolved. We suggest you use best practice that is to always include a fieldMask for specific fields when you are updating a location so that your other location data are preserved.

Thanks,

Terry

Re: Business Description Erased

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That makes sense, thanks @Terry W!