Analytics
2K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

virtual URL for tracking something like a popup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I read that GA offers the possibility to create a virtual URL for tracking something like a popup. As there is no URL on a thank you pop up conversions cant be tracked here. I am not a developer though so I dont understand super tech explanations. Is there a simple way to do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sven G
May 2016

Re: virtual URL for tracking something like a popup

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sven,

You can implement the following code here to send a pageview hit to Google Analytics:

ga('send', 'pageview', '/virtualURL/thank-you.html ');

You can change the /virtualURL/thank-you.html on whatever URL friendly name you want

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sven G
May 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sven,

You can implement the following code here to send a pageview hit to Google Analytics:

ga('send', 'pageview', '/virtualURL/thank-you.html ');

You can change the /virtualURL/thank-you.html on whatever URL friendly name you want

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sikoursky,

thanks for the answer. So you add that piece of code to the code of the popup? And then you have a URL which u can use to set up a goal in GA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sikoursky,

thanks for the answer. So you add that piece of code to the code of the popup? And then you have a URL which u can use to set up a goal in GA?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sven,

How does the pop-up get activated?

Click of a button? - add that code to your links and you can refer to this post on how to do it http://searchengineland.com/virtual-pageviews-or-event-tracking-%E2%80%93-which-is-right-for-you-125...
Overlay? - create a custom code to run the virtual pageview code when the overlay appears

virtual URL for tracking something like a popup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I found in measureschool a very nice guide about how to set up a virtual pageview with Tag manager. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykJEzxHlqDU