Analytics
2.6K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

utm parameters not tracked on Google Analytics

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have done a couple of tests with utm parameters and these are not being picked up by GA. Does anyone know why it could be that please? I've used a https link to a https website and the link looks something like this:

www.example.org.uk/nameofsection?&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=OURnewsletter&utm_campaign=AlexTest

Is it because the first utm parameter has a & symbol after the question mark?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm putting together a plan to start using utm by our marketing department and I obviously have to make sure that first it works... 

Thanks and Regards, A.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACG
November 2016

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks for your email.

Actually in the end I manage to find my test sessions. It seems that having & immediately after ? doesn't affect it, the sessions are reported in GA.

Best Regards, Alex

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
First paramter should only have the ? not the & as well.
& is used to append further paramters after the first one
eg www.example.org.uk/nameofsection?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=OURnewsletter&utm_campaign=AlexTest

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACG
November 2016

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks for your email.

Actually in the end I manage to find my test sessions. It seems that having & immediately after ? doesn't affect it, the sessions are reported in GA.

Best Regards, Alex

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

Thanks for this answer! I came across this post when I was trying to answer a similar question, hoping you might be able to help!?

I'm planning to use Google Optimize to run a split test and I'm trying to find out - are we able to use tracked links as well as a url split test? e.g. if I post an ad with .com/?utm_ etc, am I able to track the results of that link in typical GA? Or will my Optimizer test strip the link out in order to serve the variant?

For context, my visitors get a bonus if they share the website after purchasing, to track if they've shared it, I give them a unique url using the utm tracking.

If you have any ideas or thoughts on that, it would be much appreciated!

Ben