Analytics
2.7K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

misleading utm data after one UTM testing

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Greetings. 
After consulting with the representatives and trying to figure out the issue for a few days by myself I seem to have found the following (not absolutely sure though):
If you type in into a browser's address bar the URL with UTM containing "google / cpc" for example for testing purposes, later on all the direct visits from this browser /machine (without UTM) will be counted as a PAID traffic that you can see in Acquisition -> AdWords data....despite the fact that you just enter URL itself without UTM .  I was wondering whether anybody else has ever noticed that and is it a bug or maybe I don't know about some settings that could prevent that...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: misleading utm data after one UTM testing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Not a bug.. as you are telling ga what to set the visit to by using the parameters.
They will then stay in place until overwritten by another campaign etc.. or the campaign timeout occurs.
THey do not get overwritten by return direct visits that follow afterwards.

best way to prevent it it, is when finished testing, clear browser cookies and cache.

Attribution flow chart that helps explain how it works
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6205762?hl=en#flowchart
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks alot for the reply. It would be also great to read about this in the official docs if anybody could provide the reference.
From the support I didn't get the explanation about a 'strange campaign' I see in my adwords data and couldn't understand where this paid traffic come from.. to me it wasn't so logical that analytics use this kind of attribution to present the data related to adwords and its performance... when I run Direct response campaign I'd prefer to see in this graphic/ table (Aquisition -> AdWords) only the actual interactions with my ads...to clearly see how the actual campaign (first impression/interaction) works...

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Aha..I see from the reference above as it works, thank you... So is there a way to prevent/modify this attribution for the direct traffic? I.e. exclude the direct traffic from the attribution - "Existing campaign data for client ID -> within timeout period -> source: from previous session"?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
What I usually do for general setup and when testing.
There is the default View - All website data that is generated by the GA system
This remains without any filters

I then create another View called Master.. to which i apply exclude filters to exclude any IPs for internal traffic and testing etc.

I also crate another View that includes only the testing IPs, that way i can look at test data without all the noise of the data from
the main site traffic.

In doing this, it keeps the main reporting pretty 'clean'

and i make a point of having my browser clear cookies and cache when i close it
http://www.howtogeek.com/137681/how-to-automatically-clear-private-data-when-you-close-your-browser/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here