Analytics
2.6K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

gclid=TeSter-123 failed on my home page but loads on the rest of my pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi the gclid=TeSter-123 failed on my home page but it loads on the rest of my pages, my ads currently send the traffic to my site's website, but as the gclid=TeSter-123 fails on my home page I cannot track any traffic on Analytics,

How can I fix this?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: gclid=TeSter-123 failed on my home page but loads on the rest of my pages

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jesus,

Assuming that with 'TeSter-123' you mean the tracking ID from your AdWords campaigns?

Are you saying that your homepage isn't able to show its content when loaded with an URL parameter generally?

Christoph

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your reply,

I'm facing discrepancies in my Analytics account due that the home page (landing page) is not capable to track the incoming Adwords traffic, I tried to perform the test to check that the auto tagging is working but the home page fails to load when adding the 'TeSter-123' at the end of the URL. although all the rest of the pages of my site load perfectly when performing this test, I changed the URL in some of my ads and the traffic is being tracked, so the home page seems to be the problem, how can I fix this?

Thanks,

Jesus

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jesus C,

If the gclid is not generating then you can not track adwords traffic into Google Analytics account. Try adding UTM sources into your Final URL and change the setting into Google Analytics admin tab > property setting > tick on Allow manual tagging (UTM values) to override auto-tagging (GCLID values).

Thank You!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Jesus,

The point is: check if your homepage has a problem with URL parameters generally – append a deliberate URL parameter like

&test=abc

to the URL of your homepage and see what happens. If it doesn't work it's not a Google Analytics issue. Talk to your developer in this case.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

I tried with the deliberate URL parameter and got same result, I'll talk to the developer, any suggestions on what might be the issue in the code?

Thanks,

Jesus

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
That depends on the technical environment of your web pages. Sometimes it's just a setting that excludes any URL parameters from being allowed to execute. Besides that, are there any redirects on the homepage?

gclid=TeSter-123 failed on my home page but loads on the rest of my pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi , 

I have similar kind of issue not able to see the content when loaded with URL Parameters ? any solution to point our web developers in right direction.