Analytics
2.7K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Why does setting Campaign Target URL affect session numbers?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I've seen a few blog posts explaining 'Campaign Target URL'.  They nearly all pretty much replicate the text from the slides linked below.

My understanding is Campaign Target URL filters out cost data in the Adwords report, for websites not matching the target URL, suitable when multiple websites are advertised in a single Adwords account (which applies to us).

This being the case, why do we have fewer sessions in the Campaign Target URL View, versus our Raw data View?

http://www.slideshare.net/MarcJoffe/google-analyticsindividualqualification

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David M
November 2015

Re: Why does setting Campaign Target URL affect session numbers?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hmmm, it was actually my own testing method that caused the errors.

I think when I tested, I was including the present day, and perhaps the Views were opened at different times, meaning the session figures will be different. There's also a chance that Views for the present day aren't in total sync (although I have no evidence of this, and its less likely the cause of my testing mistake)

Doh!

I've just checked my x2 test Views, one of which Includes an Adwords Campaign Target URL and the other excludes the same URL and they both match the sessions in a Raw data View.

Ignore me.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi David,
This is expected. You're filtering out all traffic BUT the traffic TO that campaign target URL by using that filter.
Unless I picked you up wrong? Are you including or excluding the traffic to a specific AdWords campaign URL?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dave

Thanks for replying.

My filter is include. It just isn't doing what I expected, having read the descriptions.

Your statement "You're filtering out all traffic BUT the traffic TO that campaign target URL by using that filter." doesn't match the blog descriptions I read.

I just created a test View with only INCLUDE Campaign Target URL filter set.  I then visited the site (direct, from bookmarks) and saw my visit to the site in Realtime stats.

Something is filtering sessions.  It seems to be the descriptions (all seem to be based on that slideshare link in my OP) are incorrect.

Thanks for your help.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David M
November 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hmmm, it was actually my own testing method that caused the errors.

I think when I tested, I was including the present day, and perhaps the Views were opened at different times, meaning the session figures will be different. There's also a chance that Views for the present day aren't in total sync (although I have no evidence of this, and its less likely the cause of my testing mistake)

Doh!

I've just checked my x2 test Views, one of which Includes an Adwords Campaign Target URL and the other excludes the same URL and they both match the sessions in a Raw data View.

Ignore me.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Excellent! Glad you resolved it. Appreciate you coming back to let us know.