Analytics
2.6K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Where is the best place to measure my Pre Roll annotation metrics in Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running a number of pre roll campaigns for clients, and I want to be able to give them accurate annotation metrics from those campaigns, and I'd like to do it from Google Analytics because that's where the rest of the metrics come from.

Here's an example of the issue I'm having:

I checked YouTube analytics to see how many times my annotations were clicked this year. It showed 75. Then when I checked analytics, it showed only 7 clicks. And when I checked how many sessions came from that preroll campaign, it showed only 5.

Is it just that low of a conversion rate from an annotation click to an actual website session/click on Analytics? I just want to make sure 

A. I'm looking in the correct spot

B. Things are linked as they should to show annotation metrics correctly

C. I know if YouTube analytics and google analytics can match up/correlate

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Where is the best place to measure my Pre Roll annotation metrics in Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Megan, 

Have you integrated your YouTube Channel with Google Analytics? Because this can help clarify the disparity. 

You can do this by doing the following: 

1) Create a new 'Property' in GA (this is not mandatory since you can connect your YouTube account with your existing property but it there are many articles that advise against it since it may inflate some of your numbers). 

2) When you create the new property enter your YouTube channel URL as the website property: www.youtube.com/YourChannelHere

3) Enter your new Google Analytics ID into YouTube (an advanced option in YouTube advanced features options area).  

4) Insert your tracking ID into the area. It may take time for the Property to update itself. 

Helpful source: Jonathan Taylor of Klipfolio 

Let me know if this helps! 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’