Analytics
5.9K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

What defines a "first interaction" in relation to Adwords and Analytics?

S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Quick question here:

Essentially when sales/events are attributed to "First Interaction" in an AdWords campaign within Analytics...

I understand that the AdWords campaign is the "first interaction" for that user in this particular sales cycle.

But what defines a "first interaction"? Is it the same definition as "New User"?

I.e. if a user does any of the following, he is defined as a "new user":

• any actions in incognito
  • manual reset/change of ip address while he is not logged into a google account
  • not logged into google account, session timeout after 20 minutes, any new action after that is a new "session"

My question is, do the same rules of definition apply to "first interaction" for AdWords, if it shows up in the sales cycle in Analytics?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

In terms of adwords interactions stands for clicks, video ads views and lightbox ads engagements https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6281923?hl=en

In terms of analytics interacions stans for first hit sent by particular client ID / User ID with identifies visitor on site

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Re New Users in analytics - since visitors are mainly recognized by cookies incogtino mode will generate new user's hits but IP or Google account will not affect tracking. Here is an explanation on how users are tracked ans sessionized https://www.optimizesmart.com/understanding-users-in-google-analytics/

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

First interaction in MCF reports by default means a session. When you interpret the first interaction you basically look at the first session inside the lookback window which can be maxed to 90 days - days prior to conversion. 

New type of interaction reporting in Google Analytics allows you to see Clicks (sessions), Direct (sessions from Direct), Rich Media and Impressions as interactions. 

Hop it helps.

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net