Analytics
2.2K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

What could be the problem why remarketing audience lists aren't being built with Analytics tag?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there,

I was following the tutorial on setting up remarketing with the existing Analytics code. It says that if I have Analytics on the site, then I don't need to add Adwords code.

I enabled remarketing in Analytics for my websites and linked my Analytics to Adwords, and created Audiences in Adwords but no lists are being updated. It said that it can take up to 24 hours for results to start appearing but now it has been 96 hours. All remarketing lists say:

"There's no size history available for this list."

Also whenever I visit Audiences in Adwords, I get an error popup:

"We haven't detected the AdWords tag on your website or in your app"

This is very confusing as the tutorial says that no AdWords tag is required if the website has Analytics already installed. So do I actually then have to add AdWords tag afterall?

The websites have only Analytics code. Here's one of the codes from www.browserling.com:

<script>
var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-19793659-1']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src=('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];
s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();
</script>

For this website, I've created a remarketing list with a rule:

URL contains www.browserling.com

As rules aren't well documented, I also created another remarketing list with a catch-all rule:

URL contains /

This list also has 0 people added to it in last 96 hours.

Any ideas why no visitors are being added to the lists? Is there anything else that I need to do to make this work?

Sincerely,

Peter Krumins

CEO Browserling Inc

2 Expert replyverified_user

What could be the problem why remarketing audience lists aren't being built with Analytics tag?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Peter K :-)
Ideally the tracking code should be before the closing </head> tag, when placed at the bottom of the page it's no longer asynchronous.

Regarding remarketing, to enable it for that version of tracking, a line of the code needs to be edited as well
Instructions on how to modify the code here:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/7062343?hl=en

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response! I'll edit my Analytics code and then let you know if it worked.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks once again. I did further investigation and found that there is also "analytics.js" GA code that's a more modern version of "ga.js". I've now updated my site with "analytics.js". I'll now wait 24-48 hours to see if audience list gets updated. I'll let you know then if it worked.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately updating "ga.js" to "analytics.js" isn't working either.

It's not clear when the lists will get updated. It's been about 36 hours now and the tutorials say it will take 24 hours to start seeing results.

The Adwords Audiences page still shows a popup there is no Adwords tag.

The tutorials say that if I've updated to "analytics.js" and enabled Remarketing and linked Adwords to my Analytics property, then no tag is necessary and that "analytics.js" loads doubleclick tracking code in the background.

I'm beyond frustarted at this point.

Re: What could be the problem why remarketing audience lists aren't being built with Analytics tag?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Sorry you are not having any joy with this.
I haven't used Adwords in quite a while, so I don't have any recent experience with this functionality and the experience I do have with it, is very limited

Hoping someone else here can chime in and share their knowledge 

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response. After spending another hour with this, it looks like there are two separate audience lists. One of them is inside Analytics, and the other one is in Adwords. When I updated "analytics.js" on my website, I only enabled Analytics audiences. I still get an error in Adwords about the remarketing tag missing because it's another separate product. Looks like I need to add a tag afterall for Adwords to build an audience list for remarketing. But now this is just too confusing. Why are there two separate audiences and how are they related?

Re: What could be the problem why remarketing audience lists aren't being built with Analytics tag?

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi Peter,

You can just go into analytics, create a segment and then select the segment as an audience.   You need to have "edit" access on the property.

segment to audience.png

or go to the property settings to create them.  

ss prop setting audience.png

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn