Analytics
4.9K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Using Analytics to track Adwords goals and conversions across subdomains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We currently have an Adwords campaign set up that sends users to two different subdomains, but we aren't seeing any conversions or Goals in Analytics. In Adwords we also don't see any conversions, only view-throughs. From diagnosing the issue so far, I think it might be one of three things:

1. We aren't tracking activity properly from subdomain -> homepage, and users are either being counted twice or falling off completely. This could potentially be the issue because there isn't a proper way to convert on the subdomain pages (they are just blog posts with CTA buttons that send people to the homepage to complete their account). The actual sign up on the homepage is tracking correctly, so it's clear we're losing the user somewhere in between this stage.
  2. I wasn't around when Google Tag Manager was installed, but from installing Google Tag Assistant I can see that it isn't installed on all our pages. Would this alter our tracking? Should I have our team go through and install it across all our pages just to be sure?
  3. On the subdomain landing pages, Google Tag Assistant tells me there isn't a conversion value set for the page, which leads me to believe this is the actual issue. But do we need a value assigned if we're just sending users to another page? Or should that be the value (Ex. clicked "Complete My Account" link)?

Thanks for any help and/or documentation you can send my way. Since this was all setup before I came onboard, I'm not quite sure where to look.

Re: Using Analytics to track Adwords goals and conversions across subdomains

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dalton,

We aren't tracking activity properly from subdomain -> homepage, and users are either being counted twice or falling off completely. This could potentially be the issue because there isn't a proper way to convert on the subdomain pages (they are just blog posts with CTA buttons that send people to the homepage to complete their account). The actual sign up on the homepage is tracking correctly, so it's clear we're losing the user somewhere in between this stage.

If you've implemented GA via GTM, make sure you've configured tracking across subdomains, otherwise, your sessions will be broken. Fields to Set of your Page View Tag, add the following setting::

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 05.52.51.png
If the visitor first visits blog.yourdomain.com and then moves to www.yourdomain.com, these two domains will have different _ga cookies, and thus different Client IDs, and thus the user will be a different user with a new session. That's why we'll need to set cookieDomain: auto to prevent this issue.

I wasn't around when Google Tag Manager was installed, but from installing Google Tag Assistant I can see that it isn't installed on all our pages. Would this alter our tracking? Should I have our team go through and install it across all our pages just to be sure?

Make sure you've installed GTM on all the pages on your website (including pages on your subdomain) and you're triggering your Page View Tag on all those pages.

On the subdomain landing pages, Google Tag Assistant tells me there isn't a conversion value set for the page, which leads me to believe this is the actual issue. But do we need a value assigned if we're just sending users to another page? Or should that be the value (Ex. clicked "Complete My Account" link)?

It's not required. Here you can read more about AdWords Conversion tracking via GTM.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Taavi