Analytics
4.9K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Unable to differentiate between Google Adwords Express campaigns in Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After linking my Google Adwords Express account with Google Analytics, when I view Acquisitions > Campaigns, all of my Adwords Express campaigns are listed by their Campaign ID (AWX_###:#### Etc.).  This makes viewing my data incredibly tedious and difficult to present it to clients/supervisors in a comprehendible way.  Is there any way to change my Adwords Express Campaign's display name in Analytics so I can tell which ad is which in a more intuitive way? Or just any way to put some kind of identifier on them?  Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric Y
April 2017

Re: Unable to differentiate between Google Adwords Express campaigns in Google Analytics

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Each ad in AdWords Express can create multiple campaigns - one for display, and one for search.  Sitelinks also are created automatically and have their own click reports.

However, since each ad is its own campaign, you can use a simple hack to get the reports to appear in a more readable format.

Bypass the AdWords section and go all the way down to "Campaigns" and select "All Campaigns."  Then, on the Primary Dimensions menu, select "Ad Content."  If you want additional breakdown, select "Ad Distribution Network" as the Secondary dimension to see if the ads appeared on Search, Search Partners, or Display.  If you see an unrecognized ad for "Places Ad" -- these are automatically-generated Local Display Ads.

Campaigns   Analytics 1.pngList Ads By Campaign

Campaigns   Analytics 2.pngList Ads by Ad Content

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric Y
April 2017

Re: Unable to differentiate between Google Adwords Express campaigns in Google Analytics

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Each ad in AdWords Express can create multiple campaigns - one for display, and one for search.  Sitelinks also are created automatically and have their own click reports.

However, since each ad is its own campaign, you can use a simple hack to get the reports to appear in a more readable format.

Bypass the AdWords section and go all the way down to "Campaigns" and select "All Campaigns."  Then, on the Primary Dimensions menu, select "Ad Content."  If you want additional breakdown, select "Ad Distribution Network" as the Secondary dimension to see if the ads appeared on Search, Search Partners, or Display.  If you see an unrecognized ad for "Places Ad" -- these are automatically-generated Local Display Ads.

Campaigns   Analytics 1.pngList Ads By Campaign

Campaigns   Analytics 2.pngList Ads by Ad Content

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the help Phillip.  That solved my problem.  All I needed to do then was just change my primary dimension and it listed my ads by their heading text, instead of their campaign IDs. Analytics is a powerful tool but it certainly seems like if you're not intimately familiar with the terminology, it's pretty unintuitive to find what you're looking for (or in this case, figure out how you want to display your data).