Analytics
2.2K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

UTM Codes & Social Media

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

One of my clients has informed me that they are utilising UTM codes on Facebook ads to track the performance of the ads that are driving to a landing page on my company's site. I'm having trouble finding the results in Google Analytics and am wondering if it's perhaps due to them creating the UTM code incorrectly? I've had a look at many articles on where to find the reporting, but I can't seem to find the results.

Here is an example url:

https://example.com.au/challenge?utm_campaign=ad&utm_source=country&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=ab

Would GA not be reporting correctly since they've used source and medium incorrectly?

Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Laura C
February 2017

UTM Codes & Social Media

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Laura,

Thanks!

I got it. There's a 301 redirect that comes into play that strips your UTM campaign parameters. If you click on this link that you gave us, you'll see that those UTM campaign parameters will disappear after landing on the page (301 redirect happens).

What's the solution?

Always use a slash (/) at the end of the URL before UTM campaign parameters and everything will be fine. If you don't use this slash, a redirect will happen and you have trouble finding the results in Google Analytics.

Take a look at this part of the URL and a slash (emboldened):

.../sane-vietnamchallenge-2017/?utm_campaign=ad&utm_source=vietnam...

You can test it out if you go to Reporting -> Real-Time -> Traffic Sources in Google Analytics and then click on this link that you gave us (but now with a slash at the end of the URL). If it's working, you will see those campaign parameters in this report. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Taavi

View solution in original post

UTM Codes & Social Media

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Laura,

If you open your source / medium report in Google Analytics, do you see any results there?

If not, could you please share one of those links that they have actually used in the past? We'll take a look and try to figure out what might be the reason. (You can edit you post later to remove this URL if you want.)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Taavi

UTM Codes & Social Media

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Laura,

Make sure the URL in which UTM tags are inserted is being tracked by google analytics. Second, the data in google analytics will generate after 24-48 hours and if you want to test, please check your real time reports. You should see results in Acquisition >> Campaigns >> All Campaigns

The order in which the utm tags are used doesn't matter. let us know for more help

Regards

Noman Karim

UTM Codes & Social Media

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

Thank you for your help. There are general results shown in the source / medium report, however none that are attributed to the UTM codes that they've used. 

I'll add the URL to the original post and would love to hear any feedback once you've had a look at that.

Cheers,
Laura

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Laura C
February 2017

UTM Codes & Social Media

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Laura,

Thanks!

I got it. There's a 301 redirect that comes into play that strips your UTM campaign parameters. If you click on this link that you gave us, you'll see that those UTM campaign parameters will disappear after landing on the page (301 redirect happens).

What's the solution?

Always use a slash (/) at the end of the URL before UTM campaign parameters and everything will be fine. If you don't use this slash, a redirect will happen and you have trouble finding the results in Google Analytics.

Take a look at this part of the URL and a slash (emboldened):

.../sane-vietnamchallenge-2017/?utm_campaign=ad&utm_source=vietnam...

You can test it out if you go to Reporting -> Real-Time -> Traffic Sources in Google Analytics and then click on this link that you gave us (but now with a slash at the end of the URL). If it's working, you will see those campaign parameters in this report. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Taavi

UTM Codes & Social Media

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for that Taavi! We'll give that a go with the next campaign and will let you know if we are still experiencing any trouble.

Cheers,

Laura

UTM Codes & Social Media

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your help Taavi, confirming I can see it there. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Laura