Analytics
1.8K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking UTM codes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a list of UTM codes, which were created by an ad agency for our organisation, but I am not sure what to do with them to start tracking the campaigns we have running. I have been searching the internet but that's no help.

Do I add them to Google Analytic and if so how, or will they be tracked automatically?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking UTM codes

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi James,

The UTM codes are URL parameters, you need to add them to links pointing back to your site from other websites or emails and Google Analytics will be able to identify where the traffic is coming from. Check the article below for more details and examples.

http://blog.rafflecopter.com/2014/04/utm-parameters-best-practices/

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Tracking UTM codes

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi James,

Just to elaborate on what Arnold suggested. If the agency is alerting you that they have tagged the AdWords URLs with specific parameters there is likely nothing you need to do. If the ad URLs are tagged and Analytics is installed on the site/landing pages, these parameters will appear in your Analytics reporting automatically. There is no setup needed on the Analytics side.

If they're asking you to implement UTM parameters on and AdWords account/campaign that you're managing, that's a different story.

Which situation are you facing?

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’