Analytics
2K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Sudden spike in bounce rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

At december 2nd the bounce rate on my page went from 50-60 to 80-90, and the line is still the same.

I have checked through the system, but can not seem to find the answer. The spike is to big for ut to be a coincidence.

Do you got any tips?

Have tried to filter out referral spam, but it seems not to be the trick. It must be some spam bots or something coming in on that day and still staying in my analytics.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sudden spike in bounce rate

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Petter
Unfortunately, spam hits, once they're registered in GA, are there forever. You cannot filter them out retroactively (I know, super frustrating). The only solution is to create a custom segment that blocks them out from your reports.

It has gotten to the point that GA is completely useless unless you use a pretty complex set of filters and segments in tandem.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,

Thanks for answering.

What is your best tips for removing ghost spam (or bots) in both sessions and referral?

Is there maybe some programs/plugins that can help remove future spam also?

Yeah, its impossible to analyze and use the data i have now.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Petter
This is the best guide I've found : http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Its actually written by one of our TCs here. In it, Mike mentions some automated tools to do this which are fantastic but require giving permissions to the tool provider. Because we work with clients we have to do it manually.

Its incredibly frustrating having to do this. Unfortunately, it effects smaller users disproportionately more and bigger users (more traffic) don't notice this nearly as much in their reports (if at all) than we do. Google gave a brief mention a few years back at a conference that they were working in this but so far, we've heard nothing back about it.

Some of our clients have moved away from GA as a result.