Analytics
2.3K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Significantly Different Conversion Values in Analytics vs. AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, all!

I am very confused and am hoping someone can help me. 

Everything is matching up in AdWords and Analytics except conversion value. 

For the given day, both are reporting: 

78 clicks

$223.42 spend

$2.86 CPC

BUT AdWords is showing a Total Conversion Value of 1,157.32 and Analytics is showing Revenue of $317.50

Am I looking at something incorrectly? Or have something set up incorrectly? Any ideas? I've been researching this quite a bit and haven't been able to find a solution. Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Super S
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Super S the difference for revenue is mostly due to different attribution models used in GA and Adwords respectively.

Analytics uses a last non direct click attribution model in Standard reports which would mean that if a person lands on the site via google / cpc and does a conversion it will be attributed to google / cpc on the other hand if the person does: google / cpc then comes back via google / organic and does the conversion it will be attributed to google / organic.

Adwords (las adwords click by default) will in that case (cpc > organic > conversion)  attribute the revenue to last adwords click regardless if Analytics attributes it to Google Organic therefor there will always be difference between the numbers (expected behavior).

The workaround would be to try and look at Top conversion path report under Conversions > MCF reports where you can see where AdWords is in terms of purchase cycle position and Attribution modelling reports where you can use the Last AdWords Click Model and try comparing it with Adwords report.

The crux of it is that the main reason for the difference in numbers is a different purpose for each of the tools.

Kind regards,

Zorin 

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Super S
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Super S the difference for revenue is mostly due to different attribution models used in GA and Adwords respectively.

Analytics uses a last non direct click attribution model in Standard reports which would mean that if a person lands on the site via google / cpc and does a conversion it will be attributed to google / cpc on the other hand if the person does: google / cpc then comes back via google / organic and does the conversion it will be attributed to google / organic.

Adwords (las adwords click by default) will in that case (cpc > organic > conversion)  attribute the revenue to last adwords click regardless if Analytics attributes it to Google Organic therefor there will always be difference between the numbers (expected behavior).

The workaround would be to try and look at Top conversion path report under Conversions > MCF reports where you can see where AdWords is in terms of purchase cycle position and Attribution modelling reports where you can use the Last AdWords Click Model and try comparing it with Adwords report.

The crux of it is that the main reason for the difference in numbers is a different purpose for each of the tools.

Kind regards,

Zorin 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Zorin Escape THANK YOU!! Smiley Happy I get it now. So the revenue in AdWords is just showing if someone clicked on an ad sometime in their journey to purchase, correct? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yes exactly. AdWords does not have to be the last click in the purchase path for it to be shown in adwords as an attributed source.  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You're the best!! Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it. I hope you have a great day!!