Analytics
2K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Shopify Store - Paid Traffic Conversions Not Tracked on Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a Shopify store in which we use Google AdWords for along with Analytics. We are unable to measure the conversions made on checkout as of the moment. This has been now ongoing for about 3 months. I am  talking with the google analytics support teams also with regards. I am reaching out here as well granted those who use Shopify may have had this very same issue that I am having.

A bit of detail:

I have put a conversion tracking code from AdWords over to our checkout page to measure customers who come through AdWords and then proceed to checkout

A goal has been set from google analytics to do the same as well this was done initially and the AdWords thereafter sometime to try to get it measuring conversions.

The analytics has been setup on Shopify over on the Settings Page (the code then gets implemented in the HTML code)

The tracking code from AdWords is put  on the Checkout Page under settings yet again (gets implemented as above on the checkout page only)

I have spoken to Shopify with regards with no luck, checked the other forums as well with no luck. Would be very surprising if this cannot be resolve. Thanks in advance please feel free to get more details or send over links which i can test out with my store and see what will get it tracking.

Regards,

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have the same issue....Shopify+Adwords+GA = no conversion tracking.  

Did you ever resolve this?  We have a paid campaign sending through traffic.  GA seems to be underreporting AdWords clickthroughs and we can see that products are being bought that are aligned with the product/timeframe of a purchase.

It's almost like the session is getting reset somewhere and grouping AdWords traffic into "Direct" traffic as a result of the reset but we can't figure out where or how.

Any insights?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob,

Sadly no this is currently been looked into as we speak. Months of following up with google we have been able to pinpoint the issue as you have mentioned yes the session is been dropped which in your case as well I would presume is happening at the checkout section of Shopify. My best bet is to follow up with them with regards as this matter is not something analytics nor google can aid with. 

Shopify mentioned that this from their point of view is due to the issues with settings over on the payment gateways end phoning them up we have concluded there is no such issue and as of the moment the balls back over with shopify.

I am really keen to get this sorted ASAP as its been going on too long if you like we could either communicate over here or if prefered via mail and see if we could get this resolved faster.

Regards,

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Glad we are not the only ones

hmm...I wonder if there's some new payment gateway or URL that shopify has added as part of the checkout process....I've got my domain name, checkout.shopify.com and paypal.com in my GA referral exclusion list....but if there's another payment gateway or URL they are now using, that would reset the session to direct....

will have to run through some checkouts manually and see if we can discover....70-80% of all my transactions appear to be "direct" now, which isn't logical...."google organic" seems to be registering fine as a source/medium...as does email 

A bunch of sessions appear to be starting here from what the channels: landing page acquisition report says: 

/checkout/contact_information which makes no sense

Very odd indeed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"I've got my domain name, checkout.shopify.com and paypal.com in my GA referral exclusion list."

Forgive me if I'm wrong...but wouldn't the fact that you are excluding checkout.shopify.com from ur reports be the cause of your issue? 

Wouldn't that be a page, or THE page AdWords and analytics need to see (as that is where the conversion would be recorded) in order to report your conversions properly? 

You also mentioned it seems like the sessions are being dropped...perhaps that's due to it tracking and recording everything properly until it reaches the checkout page where it can no longer record, so it stops, looking as if it has dropped the session, then resumes again once customer leaves checkout page. 

Just a thought.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

And perhaps the above is reported as landing page because it was the last page the tracking was able to record...or the first page it was able to record once the customer leaves/finishes checkout and is able to resume tracking.