1.5K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing
Guide Me

Returning Visitor from Adwords with Campaign not active

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Checking my analytics I just noticed that there is a visitor that returned to my site yesterday after 15 days, this visitor came first time from Adwords. Now I see that the visitor returned yesterday exactly from the same landing page and Analytics is showing this returning visitor as a google / CPC source, now the weird thing about all this is that the campaign has been stopped for a week, so how is it possible that Analytics is showing that the visitor returned from CPC source? It counted it as a session, not as a click obviously since the campaign is stopped, but anyway, this visitor entered directly through the landing page, either by bookmark or by direct browsing, so why is that Analytics is not considering this as a 'Direct returning visitor' instead?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Accepted by topic author Hector G
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Please check the document below how the processing works for traffic sources:

"A direct traffic visit that follows a paid referred visit will never override an existing paid campaign. Whatever is the latest paid campaign visit is listed as the referral for the visit"

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Arnold!