Analytics
2.1K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Press Article Not Showing in GA Traffic Sources. They used "gclid" in their link.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I cannot track traffic coming from a particular press article that was written about our product. 

When linking to our site, the press article used https://www.oursite.com?gclid=Cj0KEQjwvtS6BRC8pcKn8OXIg_wBEiQAqtpizwkN9HYqC6dTbc6DXMIEhjc5PPhOB77toewYUBvAfJkaAt5G8P8HAQ

Is this because they used "gclid", which is causing this referral source to be associated to a Google / CPC campaign of ours?

Really want to get to the bottom of this one, and how to fix/avoid this. 

Thanks,

Sam

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sam G
July 2016

Re: Press Article Not Showing in GA Traffic Sources. They used "gclid" in their link.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Sam,
yes if they use gclid you will be associated to you google/cpc
Fil

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sam G
July 2016

Re: Press Article Not Showing in GA Traffic Sources. They used "gclid" in their link.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Sam,
yes if they use gclid you will be associated to you google/cpc
Fil

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
You could have your web developer set up a 301 redirect or a rewrite on your web server (or if you are using a CMS like WordPress or Drupal, use a redirect plugin) for this specific URL to strip out this gclid. The referrer will be preserved and it will correct this issue going forward in GA.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for confirming Filtro. Do you know why they would have added gclid to their link?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Phillip! To confirm I understand correct - we could set up a 301 redirect for this specific domain to a unique page without a gclid, and then direct the user to our site?

Can each 301 redirect only be set up for a specific URL i.e. the URL of this particular blog post, or, can this solution cater for any new instances in the future from other referrals?
Essentially, is there a way to distinguish between a gclid link for actual Adwords Campains, compared to a blog post using it?

Thanks so much,
Sam

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
As for the gclid - if they originally followed a paid link and then bookmarked it (or saved it in Evernote, etc) then that is the link they had. This has been a rare problem in my experience.

As for a generic redirect rule - that is drastic and if implemented incorrectly could mess up your own paid search tracking. You should be monitoring all of your inbound links/backlinks on a regular basis - I would correct problems on a case-by-case basis. Many CMS's like WordPress and Drupal have redirection plugins that allow easy management of 404s, retargeted stale inbounds, etc.