Analytics
5.2K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Passing Adwords Conversion Keywords (not set)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have my Adwords accounts (via one Google account) linked to Analytics (on a secondary Google account).

Currently I'm seemingly unable to track the clicks from Adwords that result in sales (ecommerce data) being shown in Google Analytics - all keywords come through as (not set).

In the Adwords account auto-tagging is enabled (which I thought was enough), however is there something I've missed that is stopping keywords (and other fields) from being passed between Adwords and Analytics?

The only option I can see is to add:

?source=google&medium=adwords&keyword={keyword}&matchtype={matchtype}&device={device}

Via the Ad URL options (in Adwords) however shouldn't having auto-tagging enabled make this feature redundant?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Passing Adwords Conversion Keywords (not set)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Michael,

Have you linked the two accounts together properly?

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033961?hl=en

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yup. Account numbers match. Also double checked and ensured auto-tagging was enabled (and saved again just to make double sure).

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Michael A,

Sorry to hear of your issues. 

Have you checked out this very useful Google Analytics Help File for ecommerce tracking? I think it will provide valuable resources for this issue and in the future, too. 

AdWords: 

If (not set) appears in your AdWords reports, it means that the website or app you're tracking in the Analytics account is receiving traffic from an AdWords account that is not linked to the reporting view. You should review the following:

Occasionally, information related to a click can be lost even if auto-tagging is enabled. As a result, you may see some(not set) entries instead of keyword, ad-content, or campaign information that could not be collected.

Matched Search Query

If (not set) appears in your AdWords > Matched Search Query reports, it is likely that everything in the AdWords section is (not set) as outlined in the above section. However, if the regular AdWords reports (Campaigns & Keywords) are reporting data correctly, there are other reasons why (not set) may appear in the Matched Search Query report:

• Google Display Network traffic (this traffic does not have an associated query, so will show as (not set))
  • Manually tagged campaigns (this report only works for auto-tagged traffic)
  • Invalid clicks will show up as (not set)
  • In the AdWords search-terms report, all terms classified as "(other search terms)" will be reported as (not set).

Please take a look and see if these resources and answers cover your concerns/needs.

Kind Regards,

James