Analytics
5.9K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Mismatch between Clicks & Sessions (XX number of clicks, 0 sessions)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I've read the article that lists the reasons why Clicks do not always equal Sessions, no need to link that page here. I get it.

However, I have so dozens, hundreds, of clicks on ads now that respectively show 0 sessions and 0 users. There are SOME Sessions and Users represented however, so it's not that I'm showing none ever. But most clicks do not result in a session or user. It's more often that way than otherwise.

For example I'm able to pull up data showing 297 clicks, 86 sessions. How could be this large of a discrepancy? 62% of the time people either double or triple clicked the link? Or "hit back" before the page loaded? 2/3 times that what happens? Hard to believe that. 

Also frequently I'll have keywords with 10, 20 clicks, and 0 sessions. 

Here are a few screen shots. Am I simply getting charged for phantom clicks? To be honest that's what it feels like. 

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 11.18.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 11.20.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 11.21.28 AM.png

Re: Mismatch between Clicks & Sessions (XX number of clicks, 0 ses

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi there,

A few things to check (in no particular order):
- Do some of the destination urls maybe redirect to another url and lose the Adwords auto-tagging during this redirect? Note that such redirects might potentially only happen under certain circumstances, e.g. only for new visitors or only if someone comes with a browser with different language settings - best check with the developer of the website to make sure.
This is the most common reason for differences between clicks and session that we see for our clients.

- How is the speed of your website? If your website (or maybe just some pages) are quite slow then people might click away from the landing page before the GA tracking code has been executed and thus the traffic source is not recorded.

- Check the Analytics report for Adwords destination urls and compare sessions and clicks for each url - do all urls have such big differences or just some? If only some - do these urls maybe have something in common?

- Check the Analytics report for Adwords destination urls, use 'Ad distribution network' as primary dimension and check session vs clicks again. If you see that most of the difference comes from the content network then consider checking the placements used for your campaign(s). We have seen that some placements (especially on apps) cause many clicks that do not end in a session - maybe because these apps place the banner in such a way that many people click by mistake and immediately cancel the loading of the website.

Good luck

Claudia