Analytics
2.1K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Manual tagging to override auto-tagging ONLY for utm specified

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We need to use manual tagging and auto-tagging together as we need some utm to be set but we still need to have full details (costs, impressions, clicks) in GA.

The problem is that if we set "Allow manual tagging (UTM values) to override auto-tagging (GCLID values)" and the url contains just one utm, let's say "utm_campaign=mycampaign", all other info in the gclid are lost. It would have been much better to keep all info in gclid and override just the value in the utm specified so to have the full data in GA and some readable utm. Is it possible to get this in some other way?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pietro M
January 2016

Re: Manual tagging to override auto-tagging ONLY for utm specified

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
The point is that UTM campaign settings are explicitly made for non-AdWords campaigns. So, the standard procedure is just to use gclid tagging (without UTM) for AdWords and UTM for everything else.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Pietro,

I wonder if you could use some other URL parameters for manual tagging of your campaigns instead of the UTM ones to avoid the issue. Could that be a solution?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

thanks for the suggestion, we evaluated that but it would mean handle two kind of utm. We get leads from other sources too and we capture the utm for our logging so we'd prefer to use utm for all our sources, adwords included.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Pietro,

okay. As AdWords campaigns and UTM campaigns all end up in the Campaign dimension in Analytics, I would use a strict common convention regarding campaign designations covering both UTM campaigns and AdWords Campaign names. In this way, all campaigns can show up together in the campaigns report. In this way, you don't have the need for setting UTM codes for AdWords campaigns.

Broader marketing channels (like "AdWords", "eMail" etc.) may then set up with custom channel definitions using the campaign-name convention.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Christoph,

sorry, I'm not sure to have understood. Let me explain with some more details my goal.

I have a campaign in AdWords whose name is "product-launch" and another one in FB for which I set "utm_campaign=product-launch". utm_medium is going to be cpc for both and utm_soure would be google and facebook. When the user lands and fill the form we read the three utm and save them on our DB.
To get this working on AdWords we have to manually set the three utm and check "Allow manual tagging (UTM values) to override auto-tagging (GCLID values)". So far all good. We have our info in the DB.
The point is that we loose all the additional info that auto tagging brings to GA, we are most interested in Clicks and even more in Cost in the Cost Analysis report (where we'll upload data from FB).
So, is there a way to be able to have plain utm so that we can read and save it to our DB and at the same time keep info about Clicks and Cost using standard utm?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Pietro,

sure, I understand. But there is no way in which Google may combine both AdWords cost data and UTM campaign information for AdWords. You have to choose which information is going to be used by Google. It is for this that it's suggested to distinguish them by their campaign names instead, e.g. product-launch-adwords and product-launch-facebook.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I still can't get your solution/suggestion. So, you say to keep auto tagging in AdWords so to get cost data in GA (good) and add a non standard utms (let's say myutm_campaign, myutm_source, etc) to the url, read them in our js to save them in the DB and remove them with a filter in GA?
I'd love to stick with standard utm but if this is the only way...
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pietro M
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
The point is that UTM campaign settings are explicitly made for non-AdWords campaigns. So, the standard procedure is just to use gclid tagging (without UTM) for AdWords and UTM for everything else.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I see, the point is that gclid is useless if you need to log in your DB the campaign details. In my opinion it would be a nice feature to have GA override gclid info with utm info (if specified) while keeping gclid for all the other unspecified utm.
So www.example.com/index.html?gclid=123&utm_campaign=myname would keep utm_source, utm_medium etc from gclid while campaign name would be myname

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pietro, did you find any solution for this?
I have the same issue where I want to keep auto-tagging ON while adding a utm_id parameter manually.
Will the utm_id override all GCLID params from adwords? or only the utm_id param?