Analytics
2.4K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Locating AdWords specific conversions in Analytics

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Dear Analytics Community:

Hi!  Wanted to know if anyone could send some info/advice my way on a conversion tracking issue.

I am managing a client who already has enabled tracking in adwords, analytics, and linked both accounts. The issue is:

- I want to make a detailed report showing the client just which ecommerce transactions came from adwords, but not only that; I also want to match each single adwords conversion to the specific product that was purchased on site. So far, I can locate the conversions in Analytics (even though again, there is a mismatch in the number of conversions reported as google/cpc vs the actual conversions in adwords) but all I can see is the transaction IDs. Does adword pass along to Analytics a transaction ID for each conversion? How could I link the specific conversions in Analytics and adwords?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Re: Locating AdWords specific conversions in Analytics

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Camilo,

in my opinion, the best option to isolate the conversion from AdWords in the Ecommerce report is to activate an advanced segment. You can do this by clicking on the "All Users" button in the top part of a report page:

Schermata 05-2457514 alle 17.46.27.png

Once you click on it, an interface pops up. Click on "Conditions" on the left, an setup a matching condition for isolating traffic coming from Google AdWords. If you use only AdWords as a cost-per-click traffic source, you can use the same settings as in the screenshot (that is: medium contains cpc), otherwise you should refine your matching conditions (e.g. adding "AND source contains google"). Then save (more info on GA advanced segments here).

Schermata 05-2457514 alle 17.44.08.png

Once you have activated the segment, all the data you see in the reports are related only to sessions coming from AdWords: for example, you can now move in the e-commerce products report and see which products have been bought in sessions coming from AdWords.

Schermata 05-2457514 alle 17.51.30.png 

AdWords actually doesn't pass any transaction id to Google Analytics; it is GA itself that tracks the transaction and its details and assign it to the traffic source of the session in which the conversion happened (actually the GA attribution model is a little-bit more complicated. It is: last-click non direct... but let's keep it simple for now).

If you have correctly linked your GA and AdWords accounts, all sessions coming from AdWords are automatically identified from Google Analytics and their "medium" is labeled as "cpc" (that's why I used this condition in my example above).

The transactions number tracked with AdWords tag usually don't match the transactions number tracked by Google Analytics, for several reasons that you can find explained here: https://support.google.com/ds/answer/2791195?hl=en

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Gabriele

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Gabriele, many thanks! A lot of good info. Will study it carefully and apply - and come back with results Smiley Happy

Cheers,
Camilo

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm glad it was helpful! For any further doubts, please let me know.

Cheers,
Gabriele

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi
the below is very thorough
to expand on the mismatch you mentioned.
if i go to your site like this: organic search > ad click > direct URL > organic search > conversion

In GA you will see the goal as 'organic' as it was the last thing before the conversion - that's Last Click Attribution
IN AdW you will see the goal as 'adwords' as it was 'involved in the pathway within the last 30 days - that's a look back Attribution
(default look back is 30 days but can be set up to 90 days resulting in massive double reporting)

have a look at the attribution modelling part of GA

matching the 'exact value of adwords' or any other channel is inherently misleading as it ignores usual behaviours like multi visits from different channels. very common to search and find with ads then come back later by google-ing the site/company name directly then converting resulting in both an organic and an adwords conversion scenario - and really both deserve some credit.