Analytics
2.7K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Linking GA to an AdWords account we don't control?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi 

We've set up GA for a client, and another agency is running AdWords campaigns for them. We've given the agency edit permission at the property level, and we don't have access to the AdWords account from which ads are being run.

When I try link the property to their AdWords account ID, it only gives me the option to link to my company's AdWords account, and doesn't allow me to enter the ID for their account.

Am I missing something? Is there a way for me to link the two without giving them permissions at the account level?

Thanks Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Regan,

Whomever does the linking (the logged in user) has to have edit on the property and admin on the AdWords account.  In this case, you have no access to AdWords; therefore, cannot make the connections.  

Since you've added the other company, they will need to complete the process from AdWords.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Ok, are you able to provide a process which I can pass on to them to follow?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Regan,

They are probably familiar with it but here is the link:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033961?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Theo Bennett

Thanks for your answer, but I don't believe this will work in my case.

As mentioned, we are trying to link a GA property from our Google account to an AdWords account from a separate Google account. These instructions only seem to cater for linking within the same account.

Is there a process for them to link to the GA property from within their AdWords account, rather than trying to link to AdWords from within GA? Also, bare in mind that they only have edit permissions at the property level for the GA property in question.

Thanks

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Regan,

It will work as long as you've added the AdWords administrator account with edit access on the property -- which you said you did in your original post.  Therefore, they can log into Analytics and complete the connection.

It can also be done from AdWords, again as long as the AdWords admin has the edit access on the property level that you said you had already provided.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704341?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn