Analytics
2K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Linking AdWords and using Analytics to see conversions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

I have set up GTM, created the tags, gave the GTM code to my developer to insert on the website. I am tracking sign up and purchase for both Adwords and Facebook.

I now want to be able to track these conversions using GA. What are my next steps?

I appreciate the help, huge learning curve for me right now Smiley Happy

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
August

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

You need to have tracking code on ALL your pages. Otherwise data will be useless.

When ever you are sending traffic to your website, publish links, you should decorate those links with campaign parameters. This gives you much more detailed information and possibility to attribute your traffic.

Use this tool and read the related material on this page to understand campaign tracking fully:

https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

how do you track the signup currently?

For AdWords you have linked the accounts, right?

And you have enabled auto-tagging?

Then you are home free. Just track your transactions and they will be credited to AdWords if the visit originated from there.

With FB:

You have tagged all the possible links in FB that point to your site with campaign variables:

mysite.com?utm_campaign=facebook&utm_source....

Then you are home free like above

--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Antti N,

Yes I have linked adwords and analytics and enabled auto-tagging.

My developer placed the GTM manager code on two places on the website, on the homepage and then on the success page. The GTM tag fires on both pages.

So I should start to see conversions in the adwords campaign dashboard in analytics yes?

Also, in relation to Facebook, I have not tagged any links yet for Facebook because I currently do not have any ads running yet. I will be creating ads soon though, so I need to add a UTM from this page?? And then what do you mean by campaign variables, where can I assign these variables? 

Thanks again for the help Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Also should GTM code be on every page I need to track? Or just home page and thank you page?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
August

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

You need to have tracking code on ALL your pages. Otherwise data will be useless.

When ever you are sending traffic to your website, publish links, you should decorate those links with campaign parameters. This gives you much more detailed information and possibility to attribute your traffic.

Use this tool and read the related material on this page to understand campaign tracking fully:

https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/

--

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Ok thanks, I have the developer to put the GTM code on all pages now. I have added UTM tracking now to my Facebook ads and I can see it feeding through into GA now. Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Excellent!

Let me know if you have more questions.

--

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Antti N,

Me again Smiley Happy Just a quick follow up. I have tagged all my facebook utms and I can see them feeding through on GA. My facebook dashboard is recording conversions, for one ad in particular it says I have 6 conversions but 0 in GA. I am measuring this based on whether they hit the success page. Why are these 6 conversions not being attributed in GA? When I select my goal (when they hit the success page) it says 0. Why would that be? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I suspect that the attribution is different with FB than GA. But there are other things too.

So let's start:

Do you have conversions at all?

If you do an Advanced segment out of Facebook traffic can you see where the sessions end?

--

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Antti N,

That is where my problem lies - we have many bookings online on a daily basis come through to our backend dashboard (our developer custom built the website) but I cant differentiate where they came from, whether from Facebook ads or Google adwords, direct search etc. So I have difficulty tracking conversions. I am new to this role and they have never done ads before. 

I don't know what you mean by an advanced segment out of Facebook traffic?

I appreciate any guidance on this, thanks!