Analytics
2.5K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Incorrect Adwords and Analytics Linking.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys, 

I have just been asked to take over an account from another agency. This is how they've created the account.  To make this easier, ill upload the hierarchy I created of the existing account - hopefully, it is easier to understand then

The issue here is there is one parent company - advertising using one adwords account but - tracking two separate analytics accounts. 

My questions (after looking at the pic)

IMG_20160721_133014.jpg

1) Is this a proper and accepted practice?

2) Linking two analytics into adwords is not possible, I've checked, so they have linked conversions of only 1 Analytics account and not the other. So obviously the data is off. Am I right when I make this inference ?

3) On the soaps website, there is a link to shampoo which then redirects to the shampoo website. So I'm guessing that if a visitor searches for soaps, visits soaps website and then decides to buy shampoo instead, and goes over there and converts, the conversion will not show in the adwords under soaps campaign and will neither show in shampoo or soap paid analytics report. Is that correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Trudy D
July 2016

Re: Incorrect Adwords and Analytics Linking.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi - this is one of my pet peeves - lazy setups

1) NO - every website should have its own AdWords account and it's own GA
2) YES - check it the other way also as many people slackly link AdWords with 2 sites in it to each of the GA's but don't set up all the filters so all the AdW traffic is counted in BOTH the GA's
3) YES - this is most likely correct but you can set up more complicated setups to manage these types of situations like multi domain tracking etc. but when sites link in and out of each other it can get a bit tricky.

hope that helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Trudy D
July 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

2) YES - check it the other way also as many people slackly link AdWords with 2 sites in it to each of the GA's but don't set up all the filters so all the AdW traffic is counted in BOTH the GA's
3) YES - this is most likely correct but you can set up more complicated setups to manage these types of situations like multi domain tracking etc. but when sites link in and out of each other it can get a bit tricky.

hope that helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you David... this certainly helps.

I hate hate hate badly set up accounts, it takes so much of work to unravel the faults. I wish more people just set up really neat and tidy accounts instead of being lazy. Ugh!

Thanks again though!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
thanks Trudy - structure is soooo critical but it is so often shambolic - keep fighting the good fight!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Spoiler

@David C wrote:

hope that helps
jitendra patidar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good