Analytics
2.7K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

I want to set up cross tracking - will I lose previous data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been using GA for a domain and sub domain for several years.  I now want to set up cross tracking and see all the data in one report. If I set up cross tracking for these two domains will I lose the previous GA data for the individual domains?  There are several years of data and I really don't want to foul it up.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I want to set up cross tracking - will I lose previous data?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

You don't need to set up cross domain tracking between the main domain and the subdomain in Universal Analytics. You can use the same tracking code on each of them. You might want to set up a filter so see the full domain in the reports so you can differentiate the pages between the main domain and subdomain:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en
You won't loose any historical data if you stop tracking a property.
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Arnold,

Thank you for your reply. Great news about not losing data.

Our main domain is stclares.ac.uk and the subdomain is a form (like a shopping cart) secure.stclares.ac.uk. I have the legacy analytics.ga snippet on the domain and the analytics.js on the shopping cart sites.

At the moment we seem to lose visitors when they leave the domain and enter the form and then submit the form. Would this just be because the JS snippet is different? When I update the UA snippet to the domain will that make it work smoothly?

I can see what you advise about adding filters.

Ultimately, we want to track visitors from AdWord to sale to calculate ROI.

I will wait to hear from you before I commit!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Alison,

Yes, you should have the analytics.js snippet on both the main domain and the subdomain to track the users correctly when they are moving between the domain and the subdomain.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital