Analytics
2.4K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics v Google Adwords/PPC stats dont match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I am trying to work out what went wrong with my Google Analytics. In June this year one of my customers used an aword expert company to promote there website. While the adword campaign was in action I monitored changes in GA. After a month we compared stats, the adword expert shared there adword clicks saying there was an additional 600 clicks from the advert but this did fit very well with the GA stats camparing the 2015 and 2016 trend the adword stats seemed very over rated about 300-400 to many clicks showing. I could see from GA there were about 200-300 extra visitors.

After talking to the expert we wondered if the adwords stats were not recorded by GA as well?

Although there is an option in my GA account to add an adword campaign I was told this wasn't possible dues to there setup. I would really appreciate some help to understand what is going on, I trust the adword expert and wonder if there is something we both can't see?

Thanks for reading this. Malcolm

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics v Google Adwords/PPC stats dont match

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

this article may help - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1257084?hl=en.

This is a common 'issue' detected when comparing adwords and analytics stats thus it is crucial to understand the methods of counting each individual metric.

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin

Thank you for the update, I am aware of clicks v sessions but the detail in the article does help to put it into perspective thank you. I also didn't know that GA clicks can be lost due to user actions and adwords can record several clicks at a time. this will help us to work out what is going on.

Many thanks Malcolm

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Catmur,

Typically, AdWords and Analytics accounts are linked and share data. I can't speak to how you're currently tracking but it is strongly suggested that if you're running AdWords, you link the two accounts. Saying that this isn't possible is a red flag IMO. If an AdWords account is set up to promote a business, it can be linked to Analytics without too much issue.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy

Thank you for your reply. The adword company have told me that it is not possible to link the campaign to my GA acc although there is an option for tracking adword/ppc. Should they be able to supply me with a code for my GA account without causing them any issues?

Thank you.
Malcolm

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
HI Catmur,

Simply put, they're wrong. Maybe their setup doesn't allow it or something else but the reality is if they are running a separate account for your campaign only, which is typical and suggested best practices, they should work with you to link the two. You can read about 3rd party account set up requirements here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6086450?hl=en - One Advertiser Per Account.

You could add their login as an Admin to the Analytics account or ideally, assuming that you've never accessed AdWords with your Analytics Admin Login, they should be able to add that user as an Admin to the AdWords account and you could do the linking on your own.

It's not a code sharing process, someone with Admin access to both AdWords and Analytics needs to complete the process. The details are outlined here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033961?hl=en

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’