Analytics
3.9K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Custom URL Tagging When Adwords is Linked

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Based on client directive, we had to have custom tagging, i.e. all channels (including non-Search) had to have utm_campaign=x, utm_term=y, etc. in a very non-conventional way, because that's how clients wanted to see reports.  However, after linking GA and Adwords, I can now only see the campaigns as Adwords campaigns instead of campaign=x.  When I clicked on a live ad, the URL still had the client-directed tagging, so we thought that the Adwords data would be a duplicate instead of a replacement.  Looking at another post on this forum, someone had also said that it was duplicative, but this doesn't seem to be the case. All the data for Google seems to be excluded from the campaign=x view.

We 100% need the data as the client-directed format, and unlinking Adwords doesn't seem to have retroactively solved that.  Is there any way for us to access reporting for Google in the way that it was custom tagged, instead of as Adwords data?  

Would greatly appreciate any answers, thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom URL Tagging When Adwords is Linked

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
On the Property Settings page under Advanced Settings, did you tick the option Allow manual tagging (UTM values) to override auto-tagging (GCLID values)
More info to read on this page:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033981?hl=en
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here