Analytics
2.3K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Clicks v. Sessions Discrepancy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Huge discrepancy in clicks reported in GA & AdWords - 70 - versus just 3 sessions. Already checked:

1.) Accounts are showing linked in both AdWords and GA

2.) Checked for the GA tracking code on the ads' landing pages, and it's there

3.) Enabled auto-tagging with no utm being used in final URLS anyway

4.) It's not getting tracked as another source anyway. Checked all other sources (google / organic, direct, etc.) and none show an increase in sessions that would correspond with the launch of my AdWords campaigns.

What step am I missing?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Clicks v. Sessions Discrepancy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kaitlin
I'd suggest you read over this fantastic resource for reasons why this may be happening:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

Sounds like you have everything set up correctly. Are you saying that GA shows 70 sessions and AdWords just shows 3 clicks (they are different things, be aware of that) or the other way around?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey there! I'm definitely aware they're different things - but that discrepancy is large enough to make me think something is wrong. GA sessions are 3, clicks are 70. Thank you for the resource!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
What is the date range you're looking at? Stats are not in real time and both platforms update at different times. Are you viewing stats for today?

You say that you have 3 AdWords clicks and 70 sessions but they don't correspond to any other source. Can you show a screenshot if this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi there, I wasn't looking at a single day, I was looking at the last 30 days - so I felt things should have matched up more by then. Nov 1 -15: 80 AdWords clicks and 4 GA sessions: [image: Inline image 1] The AdWords interface ALSO reports 80 clicks. My fear was that GA wasn't recognizing those sessions as coming from AdWords, but from another source. But when I look at overall sessions over the last 30 days, there is no OVERALL lift in sessions, which to me, means those sessions aren't being logged at all. I would have expected to see an increase starting the day my campaigns were launched, (November 1.) I checked specifically for google /organic to see a lift, and didn't find anything sizeable there either. Last 30 days: (campaigns launched Nov 1, should have seen a spike in the middle of the chart.) [image: Inline image 2] Specifically, even if google / organic was receiving the credit for those sessions, it has only logged 33 sessions since Nov 1, as opposed to 80 AdWords clicks. I understand the metrics are different but that's 41% of what AdWords is registering. In my experience, that number seems a bit off. Thoughts on this? Thank you! Kaitlin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kaitlin!

Did you manage to find out the reason for the discrepancy? I have a very similar problem and I think there is a certain moment when GA does not count the session at all but I cannot find the solution yet.

Thank you in advance!
Dechko