Analytics
2.2K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Change Attribution Model in GA

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello there,

I am just trying to find out where I can change the attribution model in Google Analytics to "Last AdWords Click". While I find lots of information about the different models I haven't found where to change between them.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Jochen

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jochen S
November 2015

Re: Change Attribution Model in GA

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jochen,

Even though GA measures Last Click interactions, when you import your goals, the data received from Adwords is used, so you don't loose anything.

Now, you need to be very careful on having the Conversion Tracking and also importing Goals. They can't track the same objetive, otherwise, you'll end up with duplicated results.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You can find the report where to apply different attributions under Conversions - Attribution - Attribution Comparison Tool
You can also create your own custom attributions in Admin - View Settings. Look under Personal Tools & Assets
You can use them in Attribution Comparison Tool.

To change the used attribution model... I don't think it is possible.
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jochen, how are things?

From what I know, you can't change the attribution model on GA at the time, but Analytics already count everything as "Last Click" so you don't have to worry.

When you have Adwords linked with Analytics, Analytics will pass information to Adwords, but using the First Click interactions. Although GA uses Last Clicks, it doesn't loose the information coming from Adwords from the campaigns.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for your replies.

Since I am importing my Analytics goals into AdWords and also use AdWords conversion tracking I thought I would run into data discrepancies. I was under the impression that the GA goal completion were only credited to AdWords if that was the last click while AdWords conversion tracking would count credit all conversions to AdWords where an ad click was part of the customer journey,
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jochen S
November 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jochen,

Even though GA measures Last Click interactions, when you import your goals, the data received from Adwords is used, so you don't loose anything.

Now, you need to be very careful on having the Conversion Tracking and also importing Goals. They can't track the same objetive, otherwise, you'll end up with duplicated results.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the insights Leandro. I wasn't aware of that. And of course I won't import Analytics goals that duplicate my AdWords conversions..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
leandrofm> When you have Adwords linked with Analytics, Analytics will pass information to Adwords, but using the First Click interactions. Although GA uses Last Clicks, it doesn't loose the information coming from Adwords from the campaigns.

Hi Leandro,

are you sure about that? That would mean that I see completely different data in AdWords and Analytics? First Click in AdWords, Last Click in Analytics Dashboards and Reports? I couldn't find any info about that in the Google help, so glad that I came across your post here ...

Thanks,
Andreas

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Fresh out of press...
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/02/03/difference-adwords-conversion-tag-import-analytics-goals/
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
The article is contradicting the answer of Leonardo since it claims that imported goals die the GA attribution model (last non-direct link counts).

Does anyone have a final word in this?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Guys, how are things?

I can confirm that my answer was out of date. The article is correct.

There'll be difference on conversions when using Import from GA or having the Conversions Tracking code from Adwords. GA will always use the last non-direct source as attribution, in this will have impact over Adwords.

My recommendation is to have the Conversion Tracking code from Adwords on the website, and also tje account linked with Analytics, but without importing goals. This way you will have conversions from the Adwords point of view, and also conversions for Adwords, but for Analytics point of view.

Hope this helps.