Analytics
4.9K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Bing sessions not adding up in analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've just taken over a Bing ads account for a client who didn't have tagging set up correctly before. As far as I'm aware that should mean that any Bing ads clicks should come through as 'bing / organic' and be lumped in with any organic clicks. However when I look at the clicks on Bing ads and the sessions on analytics, GA is saying we had 243 sessions, whereas Bing Ads is saying we had 768 clicks. If anything I would have expected it to be the other way around.

Why might this be the case? I'm a tad confused here!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Are you just using the click-count?  You need to also use Bing's Universal Event Tracking (UET) to make sure you are measuring some sort of activity on your site from the clicks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is what I'm trying to sort out; the UET tag is on the site, and the Tag Helper registers it as being fine, but there are currently 0 actions being recorded. It was in looking further that I noticed the discrepancies between the sessions and clicks and came here to try and figure out an answer. My hunch is that there is a connection between the two. 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

The Bing ad network includes Yahoo, and has lots of other non-Bing search partners like DuckDuckGo. Are you seeing events in the UET Tag Helper? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I forgot about Yahoo. That adds a small amount but it's still substantially off. Last 7 days is recording 104 clicks on Bing and Yahoo search according to Bings platform, but in analytics combined organic and cpc for yahoo and bing only comes to 91. It's closer as a figure, but only if you assume there are only paid clicks and no organic clicks.

Yes events are showing in the UET Tag Helper, there is a single 'Page Load Event'. Should I be seeing additional events firing?

Thanks for helping me get my head around this!