Analytics
1.2K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Big differences in Adwords and Analytics reported clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using an external marketing company to manage Adwords campaigns for me.

Every month I receive the statistics coming from Adwords in pdf from the marketing company.

I am trying to recognize the clicks that are generated by the Adwords campaigns with the number of visits in my Analytics report: In Analytics I extracted from the Acquisition, All Traffic, Channels data the Default Channel Grouping (Secondary dimension=hostname) and the Source / Medium reports.

The default Channel Grouping reports 4 categories: direct, organic search, referral and social.

I would expect that Adwords clicks result in referral visits, right? 

But the differences are huge.

Analysing these referral visits, I see sites that I have exchanged links with (so no Adwords click), as well as sites that are marked as referrer spam websites.

Excluding these, the differences are even more terrifying.

Feb: 183 Adwords clicks vs 65 referral visits, of which 53 non-spam and no link exchange

Mar: 110 Adwords clicks vs 54 referral visits, of which 19 non-spam and no link exchange

Apr: 160 Adwords clicks vs 79 referral visits, of which 5 non-spam and no link exchange.

Am I doing something completely wrong? 

How can I understand these 2 different statistics while I cannot link my account with the account of the external marketing company?

Re: Big differences in Adwords and Analytics reported clicks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi ,
""I would expect that Adwords clicks result in referral visits""? why ???
No it is wrong. Adwords data will show under 'Paid search' not under referral.

Thanks

Re: Big differences in Adwords and Analytics reported clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As I mentioned, the default Channel Grouping reports 4 categories: direct, organic search, referral and social.
There is not such a category as 'Paid search'.
So, not being 'Paid search' , then where would you expect the sessions as result of tjhe Adwords clicks to end up?