Analytics
5.7K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Any conflict among Google Analytics, Google URL Shortener, Bitly URL Shortener?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

We mainly use Google Analytics to track our website traffic and our partners are using both Google URL shortener and bitly shortener to track the traffic as well. All direct traffic to www.BiggieTips.com

We heard about that 1st tool receiving visitors and traffic always records more visitors than the other trackers. Is that true? 

Any disadvantage if use all 3 trackers at the same time? (For different purpose) 

How to make them work without conflict?

Thanks for guidance. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
January 2017

Re: Any conflict among Google Analytics, Google URL Shortener, Bitly URL Shortener?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

1)  I opted out of GA tracking some time ago coz I dont want GA tracking me

---> Are you saying that you block GA to track you?  

No.. as per my post.. it was an example scenario
If a site visitor wants to block ga tracking.. it is easy enough for the visitor to do via a variety of different methods.. 

Slow loading of site pages can also prevent pageviews from being tracked correctly too.
GA is not designed to track every visitor to a site and there are a number of different situations that can arise in which pageviews wont be tracked.

2) Adwords tracks clicks on the ad links.. not visits to a page.. analytics tracks the visit to a page and it doesnt track all traffic..

--> What is the difference between ENABLE and DISABLE Advertising Reporting Features based on traffic tracking?

Not sure what you mean by enabling/disabling based on traffic tracking?
Info about enabling it and what extra information it can provide within ga reports can be found here in the help docs:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3450482?hl=en&ref_topic=3413645
In this instance, it has been enabled by editing the tracking code snippet itself, not just via the GA interface. 

4) Pageviews wont necessarily be higher than clicks it would depend on the page and amount of traffic it gets from other sources and how often it is visited by ppl already on the site during their visit.

--> Here is the data collected on 1/2  

Google URL Shortener - Click 500 

Bitly URL shortener - Click 800 

Google Analytics     - Pageview 450  (Total clicks 1300)  

Does it really look right? Isn't 850 a huge difference?  

There are a couple of things to keep in mind
a) Have the shortened urls been tested to check they do go to the correct pages.

(I have seen instances in the past when someone accidently shortened the incorrect url and did not realize until later. I have also seen instances where redirects were setup on the site without the person's knowledge so the shortened url traffic was being redirected to a different page instead of the expected page.) 

b) Normal ga processing latency is 24-48hrs. So.. ga data for yesterday's site visits/pageviews etc, might not end up being fully reported in analytics until tomorrow. Often you will get data on the same day but its not guaranteed, nor is it unusual for data to take up to 48hrs.

In some cases (i think possibly ecommerce tracking but cant remember) it may take up to 72hrs for full reporting of that particular data.

c) Using Google URL Shortener as the example... when looking at the click data in it's own analytics,

are you changing the timeframe parameter being looked at, and also matching the date range being looked at in Google Analytics. 
Google URL shortener shows clicks for all time since the URL was created, unless you change the timeframe for the particular url,
and even then you are limited to only 4 other options - 2hrs, day, week, month
Something i noticed while testing Google URL Shortener is that the all time option does show recent clicks but logs them as being for Dec 31 2016, even though they occurred today Jan 4, 2017. The month timeframe show the most recent clicks as occurring on Jan 03 2014. The week and the day option do show them as having occurred today Jan 4.
So even the dates for when clicks on a shortened url occurred may not be entirely correct either. 

d) Regarding pageviews, have the server logs been looked at to see if they differ much for page traffic to those particular pages as compared to the GA data

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

They are all different tools.. GA tracks visits on your website pages

Bitly and URL shortener are tracking clicks on the urls to your website pages.

They are not going to show the same data as they are tracking different things.

Also you need to take into considertion ppl that have opted out of GA tracking,

ppl that may not have images or js enabled in their browsers, pages not loading before

the tracking code has time to load and so on.

I notice your site is using GA configured for display advertising features. 
To remain in compliance the site needs to have a privacy policy

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2700409?hl=en&ref_topic=3413645

One thing you may want to do is attach cutom campaign tracking parameters on the urls before they get shortened.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033863?hl=en

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our 2 partners use Bitly and Google URL shortener separately to report us how good they are doing their jobs. However, the number of CLICK from Bitly & Google URL Shortener is higher than number of PAGEVIEW from GA which is not right. As our understanding, pageview is supposed to be higher than clicks. so, why is that? 

What specific point would you like us to pay attention to from this policy? 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2700409?hl=en&ref_topic=3413645 

Thanks for guidance.  

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Pageviews wont necessarily be higher than clicks it would depend on the page and amount of traffic it gets from other sources and how often it is visited by ppl already on the site during their visit.

broad example.. I click on bitly link and go to your site.. I opted out of GA tracking some time ago coz I dont want GA tracking me
= 1 click on link in bitly .. no ga pageview tracked
That is just one example. It is often something that comes up when tracking adwords data too.. because adwords tracks clicks on the ad links.. not visits to a page.. analytics tracks the visit to a page and it doesnt track all traffic.. 

From a site visitor pov, at the very least a privacy policy as you collect email information for subscription signups.
re the policy:

If you've enabled any Google Analytics Advertising features, you are required to notify your visitors by disclosing the following information in your privacy policy:

-The Google Analytics Advertising Features you've implemented.
-How you and third-party vendors use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) or other first-party identifiers, and third-party cookies (such as Google advertising cookies) or other third-party identifiers together.
-How visitors can opt-out of the Google Analytics Advertising Features you use, including through Ads Settings, Ad Settings for mobile apps, or any other available means (for example, the NAI's consumer opt-out).
-We also encourage you to point users to Google Analytics' currently available opt-outs for the web.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

2) Adwords tracks clicks on the ad links.. not visits to a page.. analytics tracks the visit to a page and it doesnt track all traffic..

--> What is the difference between ENABLE and DISABLE Advertising Reporting Features based on traffic tracking? 

3) Any impact if also enabling Remarking feature.    http://prnt.sc/driyl4

4) Pageviews wont necessarily be higher than clicks it would depend on the page and amount of traffic it gets from other sources and how often it is visited by ppl already on the site during their visit.

Thanks for guidance.  

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
January 2017

Re: Any conflict among Google Analytics, Google URL Shortener, Bitly URL Shortener?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

No.. as per my post.. it was an example scenario
If a site visitor wants to block ga tracking.. it is easy enough for the visitor to do via a variety of different methods.. 

Slow loading of site pages can also prevent pageviews from being tracked correctly too.
GA is not designed to track every visitor to a site and there are a number of different situations that can arise in which pageviews wont be tracked.

Not sure what you mean by enabling/disabling based on traffic tracking?
Info about enabling it and what extra information it can provide within ga reports can be found here in the help docs:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3450482?hl=en&ref_topic=3413645
In this instance, it has been enabled by editing the tracking code snippet itself, not just via the GA interface. 

There are a couple of things to keep in mind
a) Have the shortened urls been tested to check they do go to the correct pages.

(I have seen instances in the past when someone accidently shortened the incorrect url and did not realize until later. I have also seen instances where redirects were setup on the site without the person's knowledge so the shortened url traffic was being redirected to a different page instead of the expected page.) 

b) Normal ga processing latency is 24-48hrs. So.. ga data for yesterday's site visits/pageviews etc, might not end up being fully reported in analytics until tomorrow. Often you will get data on the same day but its not guaranteed, nor is it unusual for data to take up to 48hrs.

In some cases (i think possibly ecommerce tracking but cant remember) it may take up to 72hrs for full reporting of that particular data.

c) Using Google URL Shortener as the example... when looking at the click data in it's own analytics,

are you changing the timeframe parameter being looked at, and also matching the date range being looked at in Google Analytics. 
Google URL shortener shows clicks for all time since the URL was created, unless you change the timeframe for the particular url,
and even then you are limited to only 4 other options - 2hrs, day, week, month
Something i noticed while testing Google URL Shortener is that the all time option does show recent clicks but logs them as being for Dec 31 2016, even though they occurred today Jan 4, 2017. The month timeframe show the most recent clicks as occurring on Jan 03 2014. The week and the day option do show them as having occurred today Jan 4.
So even the dates for when clicks on a shortened url occurred may not be entirely correct either. 

d) Regarding pageviews, have the server logs been looked at to see if they differ much for page traffic to those particular pages as compared to the GA data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for great guidance. We appreciate it. 

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Wang.

I have the same problem. The Google URL shortener shows more hits than Google Analytics.
If you have the answer, please shared with me!

tks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm seeing a huge difference though.

According to google shortner, a story I posted April 2 was clicked 649 times.

According analytics, it was viewed 155 times. That's more than a 4:1 difference. I checked the link, it works just fine. And its not the same day, as it is April 17 as of this posting. So what gives?