Analytics
2.6K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I am trying to review performance data from Adwords.  I am curious to learn the difference in the reported data values in 2 areas within Google Analytics.  Can you explain the difference in the values reported in the following two data fields?  Thank you,  David

1. Acquisition, Channel, Paid Search 

and 

2.  Acquisition, Source/Medium, Google / cpc

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Analytics Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi David,

you're right, that's a little tricky ... According to [1], 'Paid Search' in Google Analytics Channels is defined by

Medium matches regex ^(cpc|ppc|paidsearch)$ AND Ad Distribution Network does not exactly match Content

So, somewhat surprisingly, Google AdWords Display Network isn't contained in 'Paid search' default definition - it's in 'Display' channel instead. Additionally, any non-Google ppc-medium traffic like Bing ads or Facebook ads is actually included, too. That should explain the differences to Source/Medium=Google/cpc.

If you don't like that definitions (I don't) it's always a good idea to re-define the default channels in a way that better fits to your actual marketing channels.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892?hl=en