Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing
Guide Me

Analytics Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I am trying to review performance data from Adwords.  I am curious to learn the difference in the reported data values in 2 areas within Google Analytics.  Can you explain the difference in the values reported in the following two data fields?  Thank you,  David

1. Acquisition, Channel, Paid Search 

2.  Acquisition, Source/Medium, Google / cpc

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Analytics Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi David,

you're right, that's a little tricky ... According to [1], 'Paid Search' in Google Analytics Channels is defined by

Medium matches regex ^(cpc|ppc|paidsearch)$ AND Ad Distribution Network does not exactly match Content

So, somewhat surprisingly, Google AdWords Display Network isn't contained in 'Paid search' default definition - it's in 'Display' channel instead. Additionally, any non-Google ppc-medium traffic like Bing ads or Facebook ads is actually included, too. That should explain the differences to Source/Medium=Google/cpc.

If you don't like that definitions (I don't) it's always a good idea to re-define the default channels in a way that better fits to your actual marketing channels.

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892?hl=en