2.2K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing
Guide Me

Adwords GTM tag doesn't get fired

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,


We are facing a very peculiar issue with our AdWords tag on GTM. One of our client in travel industry recently upgraded their online reservation engine.  The new system comes with predefined dataLayer variables.  


We updated all our tags to work with new system.  Other GTM tags such as GA, GA eCom, Events are working without any issue.  However, AdWords conversion tracking tag doesn't work properly.  


We tested with GTM debug feature. According to that AdWords tags get fired but I can't see adwords conversion tracking on google tag assistant. 


Since, predefine AdWords tag didnt work, I tried to insert as a custome HTML tag. Even them GTM debug confirm that tag gets fired on confirmation page but still we register nothing on tag assistant. In addition, all the conversion are not recorded on AdWords platform.


The reservation engine provider has their own GTM container with default dataLayer name as well.


i really appreciate any insight I could get on this issue.


I have attached screenshots,



1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords GTM tag doesn't get fired

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
You will find that a lot of GTM experts on the official Google Tag Manager help forum!forum/tag-manager

It's a challenge troubleshooting GTM issues without seeing the actual pages and verifying the data layer variables - I suspect you may be dealing with an issue similar to the one discussed here
Director of Marketing | Nehmedia | Partner Profile

Re: Adwords GTM tag doesn't get fired

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Philip,

Thank you for the reply. I'll post the issue on GTM forum and go through the link you shared.


Adwords GTM tag doesn't get fired

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We managed to find the root cause for this issue. It was another adword tag inserted by the booking engine provider with different URL ( Which interfering with our URL