Analytics
5.1K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

Adding AdWords conversion tracking to GTM with a cross-domain setup

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've got Google Tag Manager setup on my website (website.com) and that's using Universal Analytics. I've got cross-domain tracking setup within GTM, as I have a checkout URL on a 2nd domain (checkout.com). 
Currently the AdWords conversion tracking code exists on the confirmation page of checkout.com, but I was looking at implementing this via GTM. Is this possible, because the GTM container doesn't exist on checkout.com, only website.com? I have the Analytics script installed on all pages of checkout.com, and the AdWords conversion tracking code (on the checkout confirmation page).

I know there's an option to add the AdWords conversion tag within GTM, but I'm wondering if this will work if GTM scripts aren't on the checkout domain...

Thanks for any help!

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

You'll definitely need GTM snippet implemented on pages on any domain to make GTM work. The snipped is the code that actualy fire your GTM tags.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks, so just to confirm, the GTM snippet needs to be on both domains (all pages) for it to work? But that's not a recommended setup is it (adding the same snippet on multiple domains?)

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I'd better use two separate gtm containers one for each domain