Analytics
2.6K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

AdWords ad destination URLS have significantly more AdWords clicks than Analytics

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I'm getting this notification in Analytics.

"2 AdWords ad destination URLS have significantly more AdWords clicks than Analytics sessions."

What is the meaning of it? How to fix it?

There was GA installed in the website. I delete the plusins and Installed GA via GTM. this is a wordpress site.

Please help. Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords ad destination URLS have significantly more AdWords clicks than Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Sandaruwan S

There can be several reasons for it. It simply means that you are getting more clicks on AdWords than the total sessions before reported for those clicks. 

The possible reasons can be -

• Slow website speed
  • Faulty manual tagging
  • Faulty redirects 
  • GA tracking setup issues on the site

In addition to all these, there's one thing I have noticed on several accounts myself. It is when you have GSP campaign running, you are more likely to see this discrepancy notification.

In GSP campaigns, a click that is reported is not basically a click to the website. It's the click on the ad which results in expanding the ad. 

For instance, you may have 1000 clicks on a GSP Ad but say - 200 actual clicks to the site. In the reporting table, the total number of clicks will be reported as 1000, but it will only 200 sessions (considering the behaviour is quite general). This is where the number of sessions becomes lower than the number of clicks, and thus it can be one reason for the notification. 

--

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

AdWords ad destination URLS have significantly more AdWords clicks than Analytics

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for reply.

We have a Gmail campaign Running. How do I confirm this is due to GSP campaign or other tracking error ?

Please help. Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Sandaruwan S,

Maybe using tag assistant for chrome to validate your tracking installation is correct would be a good place to start. You can also use the Preview and Debug functionality in GTM for testing too. Once validated, you can simply look at your AdWords Campaign reports in Analytics to see clicks vs sessions.  This will help you potentially isolate where the issues are stemming from.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

GTM GA working fine. Andwords and GA is also connected.

How to compare clicks vs sessions ?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

"you can simply look at your AdWords Campaign reports in Analytics to see clicks vs sessions"  Acquisition > AdWords

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’