Analytics
5.1K members online now
Discuss discrepancies between AdWords and Google Analytics data, linking AdWords and Google Analytics, importing your goals/Ecommerce transactions into AdWords, and setting up Remarketing

Guide Me
star_border

1 AdWords account but multiple properties in GA - How to filter?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm advertising five different websites in my AdWords account. Each of these websites has a separate property in my

Analytics accounts.

When I look into my AdWords data in one of these properties in Analytics (Acquisition > AdWords > Keywords), I see ALL keyword data from all campaigns. Instead, I only want to see the keywords data coming from the AdWords campaign advertising this very property's website.

Is there a reasonable way to set-up a filter as follows:

- Only data from AdWords campaign/website #1 is shown in the respective Analytics property #1

- Only data from AdWords campaign/website +2 is shown in the respective Analytics property #2

- etc.

Thank you

Globehiking

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Globehiking
January 2016

Re: 1 AdWords account but multiple properties in GA - How to filter?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

as per the instructions in my reply and as Tomasz_C mentions, the filter only requires the domain name

Each property that has campaigns running to it would have a filter for its particular domain

Say you have 2 different properties (domain/website) that you are running campaigns to

You need one filter for the main reporting View in each Property

According to your given example of the following:

These are all a single domain - www.example.com

www.example.com/subdomain  - this is a subdirectory - a subdomain would be http://subdomain.example.com
www.example.com/2015/1/text.html
www.example.com/search/label/text

Filter Type: Custom filter > Include
Filter Field: Campaign Target URL
Filter Pattern: www.example.com
Case Sensitive: No

For say a different website www.example2.com then the filter would be the following

Filter Pattern: www.example2.com

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Globehiking :-))

Golden rule with filters is to usually keep your initial default View for a Property without any filters applied.
Then one or more other Views with filters depending on tracking/data needs
and a Test View for testing filters before applying to one of the live data Views.

To differentiate the data in the correct Property Views, you need to apply a filter for Campaign Target URL
This can be done by doing the following:

If you are running campaigns for multiple websites, and are tracking these in your Analytics account:

For each view that should include a subset of your AdWords data, create a custom Include filter as follows:

- Click the Tools and Analysis tab, then click Google Analytics.
- Create a filter with the following attributes:

Filter Pattern: [the domain of your AdWords campaign's destination URLs]

For example, if this view is tracking the campaign for website www.example.com, enter example\.com as the Filter Pattern (note that the dot in the URL must be escaped by a backslash).
- From the Available Website Views list, select the view to which this filter applies, then click Add.
- Click Finish.

This filter tells Analytics to include only the AdWords data for campaigns that lead to a specific domain. You need to create a similar filter for each view in which you want to include AdWords data, and make sure that you apply each filter to the correct view.

REFERENCE: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034318?hl=en

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn,

That help's a lot, thanks a mill.

However, it might be a bit more complicated in my case because I don not have only one but several destination URLs per AdWords campaign, Example:

www.example.com/subdomain

How can I include traffic from all these URLs in ONE filter? I assume it could work with a regular expression but I'm neither sure nor do I know how to approach this.

Thanks again
Globehiking

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
As a filter pattern use only domain name, not whole destination URL.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Globehiking
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

as per the instructions in my reply and as Tomasz_C mentions, the filter only requires the domain name

Each property that has campaigns running to it would have a filter for its particular domain

Say you have 2 different properties (domain/website) that you are running campaigns to

You need one filter for the main reporting View in each Property

According to your given example of the following:

These are all a single domain - www.example.com

www.example.com/subdomain  - this is a subdirectory - a subdomain would be http://subdomain.example.com

Filter Pattern: www.example.com

For say a different website www.example2.com then the filter would be the following

Filter Pattern: www.example2.com