AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

tracking multiple goal firings from single goal per session

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi hopefully this is a better place for this post and that you guys can help!

I'm currently working with a volunteer signup site on which we're tracking the number of users who, signup for events and/or follow events as well as unsigning up or following events. I'm new to GA and so have put these under 4 seperate goals. However as the goals are only able to fire once for every session if a user signs up for or follows more than one event per session this is not tracked.

What is the most effective method to track this in your opinion, (we were looking to further create a conversion funnel using google tag manager and a virtual page). 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: tracking multiple goal firings from single goal per session

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Albert,

There is no way around the 1 goal conversion per session limit in GA. That is without having a goal for each possible event with unique thank you pages -- which would get messy. You can however use classic ecommerce tracking for this and push a transaction and product in each time someone registers, etc. If it's happening in the same session, you can simply use the same transaction id and pass the new product (event registration).

This is a pretty straight forward coding implementation. GTM will require the dataLayer for Ecommerce exactly as specified in the dev docs and in your case, it can probably be static and or you can run a custom JavaScript variable to pull a session id out of a cookie and pass into the dataLayer or into your tag for the Ecom tag.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Hope that helps.
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn