AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

tracking goal doesn't count url variables

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We have a tracking goal setup which consists of 3 steps

1 cart.php

2 checkout.php

3 thankyou.php

The URL for thankyou.php is always thankyou.php.

But the first two steps can have variables, ex. cart.php?uid=123.

How can I make sure that this step is recognised as a valid step.

I know I can create a regular expression for the final step, but not for the steps in between.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: tracking goal doesn't count url variables

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sander, how are things?

The option you've selected for your goal page (exact, regular expression or begins with) will also apply to your goal funnel, so if you've selected Regular Expressions, you can automatically use them on your funnel at the name field.

Now, the UID shouldn't make any difference on tracking your process, since those names (cart, checkout and thankyou) will probably appear every time.

One important thing is not to include your final page on your funnel. This will cause your goal not to work.

You can check more information abou funnels here:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032415?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

So I should use 'begins with' I guess??
I will try that, if it also works for the funnel, it should be OK I guess.

I start to notice it because I had several entrances in checkout.php from various cart.php urls, with different variables.
They shouldn't have been mentioned, but counted as someone who completed step 1.

I haven't set the goal in the funnel steps, so that should not be a problem.

Thanks again!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Sander,

The option for "Regular Expression" also means "Contains". This is important to keep in mind when creating your expressions, because this affect the way on how the goal is counted.

"I start to notice it because I had several entrances in checkout.php from various cart.php urls, with different variables. They shouldn't have been mentioned"

From what I understood from your original post, I figure you have the following scenario:

Destination: Regular Expression > thankyou.php

Funnel Step 1: cart.php

Funnel Step 2: checkout.php

(remember that Regular Expressions applies for the funnel also)

If that's the case, it make sense for the user that went from cart.php > checkout.php appear as "Completed Step 1", that's why is important to carefully select what your regular expressions will contain. 

Also, make sure to mark the funnel as "Required" so you don't have any surprises.

Hope this help

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Sander,

From what I understand you need to make sure your funnel works even when it goes through a page with multiple variables.
So Under Step 1:

1. You need to set it as required as others have mentioned.
  2. You need to use a regular expression for the /cart.php url. Her is an "working" example: 
    /cart.php(.*)
  3. Test using this: regex tester
  4. Lastly. Just above the save button, there is a "Verify This Goal" link, use it to check if your regex and steps are working.

Learn more about regular expressions from this fun easy guide that I also used. Smiley Very Happy

Please note these changes are not retroactive.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Sander,

don't know whether your cart.php resides on root directory - so generally just use regular expression

cart\.php\?uid=

Note that you have to escape the dot and the question mark here. You don't need any wildcards (.*) at the start and/or at the end of a regular expression

Testing is easiest in Analytics page report (filter form at the top of the table recognizes regular expressions).

Christoph