Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

tracking events with out adding Goals

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Guys,

I have started a forum before about this but I might not explained this very well.

I was wondering if there is any way to track events with out adding them as a goal.

We have a "online calculator" widget on our website and I wanted to know how many people clicked and used the calculator. I can simply add this as a click event but I don't want to add this as a Goal, because this is not a Goal it's just a tool.

I hope it makes sense

Aida

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aida S
April 2017

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Aida,

Yes, you can track events without adding them as a goal. Just simply configure an event (it needs a bit of technical knowledge but you can use GTM as well to make it easier) and then you can start analyzing:

1) Sign in to Google Analytics

2) Navigate to your view

3) Open Reports

4) Select Behavior > Events.

Hope this helps.
Taavi

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aida S
April 2017

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Aida,

Yes, you can track events without adding them as a goal. Just simply configure an event (it needs a bit of technical knowledge but you can use GTM as well to make it easier) and then you can start analyzing:

1) Sign in to Google Analytics

2) Navigate to your view

3) Open Reports

4) Select Behavior > Events.

Hope this helps.
Taavi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello @Taavi Kalvi,

Thank you so much for your reply. The issue is that at the moment we are not using Tag Manager for any of our websites. I know we probably need start using that. just a quick question, if we start using Tag manager is that gonna interfere with the existing google analytic code we have installed on all of our website? can we keep them both installed or is that gonna mess up the data? any information about this would be great Smiley Happy

Thanks a lot.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Aida,

You have multiple options here for switching to GTM. you can do a tag manager migration or simply remove google analytics tags from your site and add google tag manager. Do not install both the tags on your website. keeping both the tags might effect your data, upon tag manager installation you can create a google analytics pageview tag that will send data to google analytics. 

hope this help

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I would say that it’s okay to have a snippet-based tracker (Google Analytics code) and GTM both on your website. Just make sure that you use the same UA code. You don’t have to make any changes if you're using the default settings. GA uses a combination of Client ID found in the _ga cookie together with the UA code to make sure hits are attributed to the same session and the same user.

There are some cases when you'll come across some problems:
1) If you’re using custom cookie settings (session would break)
2) If you're overwriting the page name with something customized with GTM (session would break)

If you do so (have 2 separate codes on your website), make sure all fields and settings match between the trackers.

Google recommends using only one code (GA or GTM) on your website like @Noman K already mentioned but nothing bad will happen if you use 2 separate codes as well. Just keep in mind those things that I mentioned previously.

Hope this helps.
Taavi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Great thank you so much @Taavi Kalvi and @Noman K for your helps. really appreciate it.