Analytics
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

"Begins With" Destination URL Goals Not Working?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My site uses dynamic urls to route a customer through the sales process. And Google Analytics offers a method for creating Destination Goals for these types of sales. However, I cannot get it to work. I've had 4 sales in the past 5 days, and I have 2 goals set up to track this product, one of which is just the URL of the content delivery page (they stream training videos on this page after they log in). 

The latter Goal registered completions, but it registered 11 sales, not 4. I assume that it's triggering whenever ANY customer logs onto the page, not just the new ones. BTW, I do have Funnel turned on and the sales page url is entered there. So I guess there is no time limit as long as the customer has - at any time prior - landed on the sales page?

The "Begins With" Goal (/MyProduct/?action=) registered nothing. The customer would be sent to a dynamic download page during ordering that begins with "mydomain/MyProduct/?action=" I did not turn on the Funnel for the Begins With goal.

What else can I do to accurately track these goals?

Thanks.

Ken

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Begins With" Destination URL Goals Not Working?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ken,

If your goal doesn't work properly go into your behaviour > site content > all pages > page report and set up an advanced filter with 'include page begins with' to test your URL expression.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Christoph, I did that and it showed zeros across the board. Why would this be? Any customer purchasing a course would have a page like that generated for them dynamically. Any ideas? Cheers, Ken

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Ken,

Please show me (a) some sample URLs you want to target as they appear in your page report and (b) the corresponding expression in your goal definition.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Christoph,

Here is a sample URL (based on an actual sale from yesterday) that was generated. Site and product name are replaced here for privacy purposes: http://www.mysite.com/ProductName/?action=download&id=8K454101HR702280P

The goal is set up like this:
Destination - "Begins With" /ProductName/?action=

Funnel is turned off.

Yesterday's sale did not result in this Goal being triggered.

Ken

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Ken,

do your page URL in your Analytics page report appear as written, i.e. including domain name? Or without a domain name, as /ProductName ...?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Christoph,

It's as written. However, I have tested it both ways (with and without the domain name included) and neither one works.

Cheers!

Ken

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Ken,

Okay, then you've got an additional view filter that adds the domain name to your page URL, maybe due to subdomain or cross-domain tracking in your setup. You have to quote your page URLs in this way in your goal definition as well then.

You can always test your expression using the advanced filter in your page report by specifying 'include page begins with' before actual use in goal definitions.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Christoph,

I don't understand. Are you saying to set up my goal definition using the following? http://www.mysite.com/ProductName/?action=

Because like I said, I've tried that and it did the same thing as NOT using the domain name, which is nothing.

If you're not saying to do that, can you give me an example?

Thanks!

Ken

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Christoph,

I was wrong! I didn't understand your question at first, but looking at it again, I realized you were asking about normal Page reports in Analytics and whether the domain, etc. reported with that in the url. The answer is NO. All page views are reported WITHOUT the http://www.myseite.com at the beginning. so there is no additional view filter.

The problem remains the same - visitors to dynamically generated pages are not bing recorded even with a "Begins With" destination URL. And I can't use the actual product delivery page because even with the Funnel turned on and the sales page made mandatory, the Goal reports hits for ANY customer, seemingly no matter when they purchased the course. Do you know if there is a time setting for the elapsed time between visiting a funnel page and landing on the destination page? It would help id I could edit that, because if I could set it at, say, 3 hours, I could limit the number of false positives. Thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help!

Ken