AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

outboundlinktracker

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If I want to use outboundLinkTracker, am I obliged to use the alternative async tracking snippet, or can I simply add 

ga('require', 'outboundLinkTracker'); 

to the default Javascript tracking snippet? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom D
March 2017

outboundlinktracker

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Tom, you're right. Here's an overview of Google Analytics autotrack. If you have a lot of links, you should use it or you can simply implement GTM and track outbound link clicks via GTM. It's your choice. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

Taavi

View solution in original post

outboundlinktracker

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Tom,

Here you can find a step-by-step guide how to implement outbound link tracking: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1136920?hl=en

This guide assumes that you are using the analytics.js (Universal Analytics) tracking code.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Taavi

outboundlinktracker

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Whew.  So different from what I found elsewhere in the Analytics help pages.  Are you saying that I can track outbound links WITHOUT incorporating autortrack.js?  

outboundlinktracker

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Taavi,

I'm resisting this solution because I have a lot of outbound links, and would have to modify each one.  What autotrack.js seems to promise is a simple solution that could give me a list of all my outbound links and number of user clicks associated with each one -- all requiring an implementation of autotrack once on each page, rather than a modification of each outgoing link.  Have I read it wrong?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom D
March 2017

outboundlinktracker

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Tom, you're right. Here's an overview of Google Analytics autotrack. If you have a lot of links, you should use it or you can simply implement GTM and track outbound link clicks via GTM. It's your choice. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

Taavi

outboundlinktracker

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you Taavi,

I followed the instructions in the overview and it works perfectly.