AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

one goal and track multiple conversions from one session?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

Does anyone know if you can set up Google Analytics to track multiple goal conversions from the same person within the same session?

This must be a practice that happens a lot?

I have tried both event and destination tracking and neither seem to be working. 

I had read that it may be possible using the ecommerce tracking, if so does anyone have a guide on how to set this up?

P.S. I have google loads, tested various things and spoken to Google Analytics support on multiple occasions on this with no result so far.

Thanks

Damian

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: one goal and track multiple conversions from one session?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Damian, how are things?

Can you provide further details on what are the goals you're trying to measure for the same session?

You should be able to track multiple conversions as long as they're different types of conversions.

Give us more detail so we can see how to help you out.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Not bad thanks, you?

I need to track one goal, this is a form registration and users may complete it multiple times (on behalf of their colleagues is the usual practice).

So far I have tried using an event which it will track all of the events correctly but only attributes one goal to the session. Also I have tried using a destination for the goal and that has the same effect.

If you set up a goal with a destination it doesn't matter how many times you reach that destination in your session, the reports will only show one conversion.

I think this is a pretty poor way of tracking it as surely everyone wants to know if their goals have been reached more than once?

Thanks

Damian

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Damian,

Unfortunately there is no way to count repeated goal completions in the same session. For eg. if you have a destination page type goal set up and the user reaches the page and reloads it 3 times you won't have 4 goal completions. Only the unique pageview is counted.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Yea, I think that is flawed both ways though.

Say someone buys something from you and then decides they want to buy again or wanted to put through two purchases to redeem some form of deal then Google would only allow you to attribute one goal conversion to your marketing campaign?

I have read that it is possible and had it suggested to me via the Google Analytics Implementation support team but am yet to figure it out myself.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Damian,

For purchases I'd recommend you to set up ecommerce tracking. The official Google guide explains it pretty well:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/ecommerce

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Sorry, that was a hypothetical situation but there are many non-commerce situations that have the same principles.

Anyway, can I set up ecommerce tracking with minimal data and a conversion goal for a non-ecommerce site?

I am guessing it is the transaction: send which allows the multi tracking?

I am registering people for an event, without anyone having to purchase anything, so can I set up the ecommerce tracking with a registration actually being a purchase and then sending these each time? Will I be able to track these as conversion goals?

Thanks
Damian

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Damian,

You can set up ecommerce tracking so you send only the required data. Actually it is a common issue that the transaction code is fired on each reload resulting in multiple transactions. You can take advantage of this and send the same data with each registration. The conversions will appear as Transactions instead of Goals, other than that I think that it will do what you need. Let me know what you think or if you need help with ecommerce tracking implementation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the help.

This suggests that it won't send a new transaction without you setting one up again:

ga('ecommerce:send');
This command will go through each transaction and item in the shopping cart and send the respective data to Google Analytics. Once complete, the shopping cart is cleared and ready to send data for a new transaction. If a previous ecommerce:send command was issued, only new transaction and item data will be sent.

Or does it? As long as we don't allow the transaction data to be completed again on refresh, this should work no?

Thanks

Damian

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Damian,

You don't need a shopping cart to make this work. Just put the code below to your thank you page:

<script>
ga('require', 'ecommerce');

ga('ecommerce:addTransaction', {
  'id': '1'
});

ga('ecommerce:addItem', {
  'id': '1',
  'name': 'Register'
});

ga('ecommerce:send');
</script>

Increase the "id" value by one on each load to get it counted, otherwise the previous transaction with the same id will be overwritten in the same session. Hope this helps.