AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

offline conversions without clientid?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've seen differing examples on this, but I'd like to know if I can use the measurement protocol to send an ecommerce trasnaction which has the User ID populated but not the Client ID? The online documentation seems to indicate that the Client ID is already required, but I've seen examples that seem to indicate otherwise. Also, I'm needing the conversions I upload to link back to demographics data which analytics already has, so whatever method I use should not break the capability. 

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: offline conversions without clientid?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Brady,

you need to send a clientId with MP regardless if it is the real one or a randomly generated one. If you send a MP hit with a random ClientId the repercussions are that in standard reports you will not be able to tie any previous behaviour with the transaction - on the other hand if you supply an additional param UserId you will tie the revenue / conversion to the user but only in the UserId enabled report.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net