Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

odd referrals and spike in direct /none referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've notices as of late some odd reporting in my analytics. 

The first one that is most notable are now my #6 most visited source - It says magento-crew.net / referral.  I looked this up and it appears to be a company in Brazil that sells Magento based services. The source of these visits are also mostly brazil but also in europe. Seems legit but not sure why they're interested in me all of the sudden.

I was also getting spam from copyrightclaims.org - I blocked this as I found out this is just spam.

But the last thing is I get these visits daily from Ashville, NC and then Boston and Carson CA simultaneously. . Usually about 5-10 at a time but sometimes over 20 visits. My stats show 1 second or less. Other than throwing my stats off should I be concerned. I tried to find a value in the analytics to pinpoint who these visits are so I can block them but there doesn't seem to be anything in particular to define them.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: odd referrals and spike in direct /none referrals

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jamavan,

yes, there is really a lot of referrral spam around - magento-crew.net included.

Similarly, we had Ashburn city recently noted in another thread [1] - all in some broader sense related to spam issues.

In any case, try to get rid of them through view filters as soon as you see them.

Yesterday, I attended the Analytics Summit in Hamburg, Germany. There was a corresponding question to Daniel Waisberg, Analytics Advocate at Google, and he stated that Google is well aware of the spam-referral problems in Analytics and there might be a solution to that soon.

Christoph

[1] https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Referral-Spam-Traffic/Ashburn-NY/m-p/481075

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for that. I blocked the copyrightclaim.org and magento-crew.net. Now magento-developer.net is poping up. I blocked that as well but It's not going away. Does it take a while for those blocks to propagate through analytics?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If you apply view filters they will always operate since time of creation only, not retroactively.