AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

how to track order modifications and changes before fulfillment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is my situation.

My website lets users create a booking (that costs money) for a later date.

In between creating the booking and the booking, they can modify the booking (could change the price up or down), or totally cancel it.

We charge money when the booking is completed.

we currently track enhanced ecommerce events when the booking is created, as we want to tie where users are coming from to the "orders" they are making.

We do not have visibility in GA into modifications and cancellations.

It seems I either need to

- model this process of creating the order, modifying it, and finally marking the money as collected

OR

- as the user modifies their booking, update the original transaction to reflect the new total owed, or cancel it completely

I see how to create a transaction and then refund it (either partially or completely) but it is not clear how I could modify the transaction to adjust the price other than a refund.

Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how to track order modifications and changes before fulfillment

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

unfortunately you cannot update / delete the transaction details once it is collected.

Some options:
A. Send a transaction hit only when the real transaction happens
B. Track the prebooking activities with goals and / or events - booking current value and booking details can be stored with a combination of custom dimensions and metrics which will still make attribution available

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net