AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

google event tracking link is not firing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i am trying to track a simple event click of an a link on a website. i have confirmed the account is using Universal Analytics that uses the /analytics.js to track.

i have created this url:

<a href="LINK" onclick="ga(‘send’, ‘event’, ‘Homepage CTA Block’, ‘Click’, ‘Homepage CTA Block-Top’);">linkhere</a>

however when i go to the Admin and see real time view of events, when i test the link and click on it the event is not showing up as fired. what am i missing here?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

seems like this is the actual code to use:

onClick="ga('send', 'event', { eventCategory: 'internal_click', eventAction: 'click', eventLabel: 'homepage_cta_click_top'});"

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Zach S :-)

Couple of questions.. 

1) Do site visitors get sent to a new page or to a different site after they click the link?

2) Are there any filters applied to the View that may be preventing your hits from being tracked?
3) Are you on a mobile device (these sometimes do not get seen in real time reports as expected due to mobile devices batching hits to conserve battery power)

Are you able to provide a link to the page so as to enable a quick peek via browser for any code typos

Thank :-)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here