Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

get errors when creating events goals in GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

i'm getting the errors 'Data currently unavailable' and 'internal error. Please try again later' when i try and set up event goals to track form submission events from my site. GA can track the events as they show up in both the 'real time>events' and 'behaviour>events' panel but when i use the categories and actions (i didn't send labels or values) to create event goals they validate to show 0% conversion rate and does not register the recorded goals. 

If i have no label or value parameter being submitted is the form below valid? Also are there any other possible causes of this problem?

thankyou

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 17.27.36.png

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Albert H
March 2016

Re: get errors when creating events goals in GA

Top Contributor
# 14
Top Contributor
Good work! So you created new goals with same parameters and it works now. Is that with or without the value? There isn't a way to delete a goal. You can deactivate it.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Albert H,

The error messages you are getting are likely not related to the goal configuration. But I do notice that you have set "Value" to be 0, and if you are not sending that value in, then your goal will not convert. Best to leave that blank if you are not sending anything in.

Same thing goes for label. You can be using a label for your event, but you don't need to include that in your goal.

Hope this helps.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Label is not required for Events, only Category and Action.
What happens when you set the Value (following Label) back to drop down default of Greater than and remove the 0 from the field
(as you have set the conversion value in the next setting option)

Also the verification is only an indicator, its not always correct
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! 

Ok good to know. 

When i do that i get two errors as shown in the screenshot.Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 18.54.35.png

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
That is unusual, but I don't believe it is related to the configuration. I would suggest to clear your browser cookies and cache, and to reload the page (alternatively, try in an incognito window).

But failing that, then you may just need to give it some time.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok. I tried it with an incognito window and threw up the same error.
If the errors still there tomorrow do you have any other advice about what to try?

I noticed that if i add a 0 in the value field then both errors go away but the goal still doesn't track the events. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Try also clearing browser cache and cookies. Possibly try on a different machine as well.

If that doesn't work, then may need to just wait. Unfortunately, it may be something on Google's end that they're working on, so it's hard to say what the cause is and how to fix it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i noticed that changing the value input from blank to 0 gets rid of the errors. Although still doesn't result in tracking the events as goals.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Although still doesn't result in tracking the events as goals.

Have you tried different settings for the drop downs?

(its can sometimes be a little difficult to advise without knowing the actual Event setup eg category and action names etc)

Also bare in mind that you will need to clear your cookies when testing if a goal does register, or if you test a 2nd time within the same session,
the goal wont register again as a goal during the same session

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've tried most configurations i can think of, I've matched the category and action names which are sent from the front end and have validated that these are the names which are displayed when the events are registered.

In terms of other parameters the only thing i can think of is the 'value' variable as i have to keep a number there to prevent the error's shown above. So i keep it at 'greater than' 0. Do you think this is the problem, if there is no value (maybe na) coming from the front end this could evaluate to false?

Also i've set the goal setup to 'custom', is that the right configuration? I've tried many different options for both of these but want to make sure.

Below is a screenshot with the correct names and config. Thanks

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 23.06.02.png